Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Bose 901 Series 3 Speakers & Equalizer Connections

I have a set of 901 series iii speakers that I haven't used for many years. I now want to set them up in my new house. My problem is where to connect the power to the EQ? The amp i have is a Bose Spatial Control Receiver bought along with the 901s way back in the 70s. There is no obvious socket to wire up the EQ on the rear panel. It states in the owners manual for the 901s to connect the EQ to a power outlet on the rear, but there is none. I can connect the EQ to the tape in/out but the power cable is just 2 wires, so where do they go? Thanks.

IMG_7934.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

Re: Bose 901 Series 3 Speakers & Equalizer Connections

Author Accepted Answer selected by Coachcaptain

I've not seen one of these since the early 1980s - so anything I say below should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I think this is correct:

The Bose Spatial Control Receiver has the appropriate 901 Equalizer (appropriate for the Series III and/or Series IV) built-in, and there is no need to connect your equalizer to the receiver. On the receiver's front, there is a flip-down panel to access the equalizer controls, and on the receiver's rear, by the speaker inputs, there is a switch to indicate if the connected speakers are 901s or standard speakers; choosing the "901" setting turns on the equalizer.

If you don't already have one, you really should try to obtain a copy of the Owner's Manual.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Hi Coachcaptain,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help you get this sorted!

The equalizer for the 901 Series III is designed to connect directly into a power outlet rather than to your receiver. The end of the power cable is supposed to have a plug attached to it that allows it to correct directly to an outlet.

It sounds like this plug may be missing on your equalizer. I have attached a picture of what the power cable is supposed to look like, does yours match this?

901 Series III EQ.jpg

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by Coachcaptain

I've not seen one of these since the early 1980s - so anything I say below should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I think this is correct:

The Bose Spatial Control Receiver has the appropriate 901 Equalizer (appropriate for the Series III and/or Series IV) built-in, and there is no need to connect your equalizer to the receiver. On the receiver's front, there is a flip-down panel to access the equalizer controls, and on the receiver's rear, by the speaker inputs, there is a switch to indicate if the connected speakers are 901s or standard speakers; choosing the "901" setting turns on the equalizer.

If you don't already have one, you really should try to obtain a copy of the Owner's Manual.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Thanks very much for the reply and solution. I thought that was the case but just needed confirmation. I am now using the amp and speakers but the sound is a bit scratchy. Every time I press or move a button it makes interference/crackling through the speakers. I think I need to get it serviced or cleaned? Thanks again.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Hi Keith. Many thanks for your reply. Yes my eq is exactly the same as your pic and it does have a plug on the end of the cable. As I have the Bose Spatial amp I don't need to use the seperate eq as the amp has one built in. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Coachcaptain - thanks. Have you tried replacing the speaker wiring, and checking they're securely connected to the amp? Due to the age of the system, there is the possibility of a hardware issue. Have they been out of use for some time?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.