Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

May 23, 2020

Bose 901 Series V Refurbishment Project

Hello!
     I am refurbishing a set of Bose 901 Series V from 1985.  This particular pair fell victim to the infamous dry rot problem.  I replaced all of the the surrounds with this kit from Simply Speakers  and even had the Active Equalizer rebuilt by Rain City Audio

The next thing I would like to fix is fixing the wooden parts of the cabinets. 
I've seen some guides on how to make the veneer look a bit better (those were a different series), but there are some pretty serious scratches and dings in the veneer of my set - and one of the cabinets even has a crushed corner (poor storage decisions by previous owner).

I have a couple of ideas on this:
1. Get two new pieces of wood (something gorgeous - these are showpieces, after all!) to replace the existing veneered aggregate wood.
2. Repair the crushed corner with a wood filler of some fort and apply a new veneer.

I'm not sure which is the best option at this point, as both will likely require removal of the wood.  As far as I can tell, the wood doesn't play much of a part in the sound, as the speakers appear to be fully enclosed in the plastic (fiberglass, maybe?) housing, so the replacement option is where I'm leaning.
My biggest issue at this point is that I'm not sure how to remove the wood.  I can see "pegs" that are attached to the wood and the aluminum side supports.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!  I've put quit a lot of time into this, and would like to finish out the project!

Thank you,
     Matthew

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

May 23, 2020

Re: Bose 901 Series V Refurbishment Project

Hey @Keith_L, @Tegan_M or @Jessie_O! Do you know of anyone internally that could provide some guidance?