John K.
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

Re: Bose 901 compatible receivers

Thank you for your response and recommendation.  How funny that you recommend a Pioneer, my current receiver is a Pioneer VSX-512S.

Pot4u1
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2020

i would try a peachtree nova 300 i purchased one last march and it makes my 901's sing! great bass and the expanded image of the sound is amazing

mgood
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

Yes Gary, it worked fine for me. The only drawback for me is lack of a remote control for input selection. I am naturally lazy and hate having to get up to change the input selection.

Good luck, give it a try.

Mike

mgood
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

You don't need a receiver with a tape loop, or pre-out / main-in connections.  See the suggestions below.  You can get the full Bose sound with the simple work-around that I outlined in a previous post.

Good luck.

John K.
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

Hello again folks and thanks for your input.  I tried looking for that "quick fix' post that mgood mentioned and didn't find it. Can you paste it in this thread.  Thx.

A Best Buy home installer said that the Audyssey function in modern receivers replaces the EQ - making it not needed.  That it offers enough EQ.

mgood
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

I love my 901's and wanted to inquire as to the feasibility of the following for fixing the problem of 'tape-monitor less' receivers.

I connected my CD player directly to the input connections on the back of my Bose 901 Equalizer, then the EQ's output connectors directly to the CD input on the back of my receiver.  From that point I use the receiver as a standard speaker driver, in other words one that doesn't need any tape monitor or pre-amp connections.  It seems to work fine with my receiver and the equalizer's tone controls work correctly. Great 901 sound again!

But then I could only listen to the input from the CD, right?  Well, I bought an inexpensive RCA Stereo connection switch, with four inputs and one outlet.  The outlet from this switch goes to the Bose EQ input, so I can now change from my CD to any other input with a flip of the analog RCA switch. 

Anyone ever try doing this as an inexpensive work-around for lack of a 'Tape Monior' circuit in their receiver?

Mike on Long Island

Rotten99
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2020

Hello:

I've had BOSE 901s since 1979.

Since then, I've repaired SEVERAL pair both cosmetically and speaker surround replacement.

Currently, I'm using Series VI (older series VI which sound considerably better) with a Yamaha R-S700 Receiver which has Pre-In/Out jumpers.

It is an excellent Receiver.

ggadwa
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Thanks for the positive feedback on 901's Series VI...absoltely love mine have had them since they first cam out!!! So far making them work with the SONY Receiver STR-D1090 with the workaround with Tape in and out settings. I'm sure the  Receiver you have would be better though. 

GARY

Rotten99
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2020

I'm actually using the Yamaha R-S700 in conjunction with another Yamaha Integrated- (A-S1100).

Regardless of the source, the signal is split into (2) using simple RCA Splitters.

I built a high-quality NAS Server myself which holds all of my FLAC and DSD files (and Movies). I also have an Edwards Audio TT3 Turntable with a Nagaoka MP300 cartridge and (for nostalgia), a 3-head Technics RS-B905 cassette deck I've been using (on and off) since the 80s.

Regardless of the source used, one signal goes through the R-S700 then off to the 901s, a pair of Image Concept 200 towers and an SVS-PB2000 sub as the R-S700 has a Sub-Out port fixed at 80Hz. 

The other signal goes through the A-S1100 then off to a pair of Polk LSiM-707 towers.

They all play together, and sound great.

Thesparkman
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2020

I found a brand new pair of 901 Series VI speakers with an equalizer in unopened boxes while cleaning out the attic of my dads home. They are pristine.  Does Bose make any products which can be used to drive them?  Will a touch sound wave IV and/or/with a touch sound SA-5 amp work?  My college roommate had 901s back in the 80s and I just couldn’t believe how good they sounded.  Was blessed to find/inherit them and can’t wait to hook them up.