tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Re: Bose 901 compatible receivers

You can use the Bose 901's with most any modern receiver. You do not need tape monitor jacks (in & out) to use the Bose 901's with your stereo. Just buy a $20 switcher: RCA or GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switch available through Wal-Mart or on line. The Bose equalizer plugs into the switcher, the switcher into any input jack on your receiver and then you can choose (on the switch box) which of 4 devices to play (CD, FM radio, computer, Sirus/XM radio, etc.).

tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Re: Bose 901 with any receiver

You can use the Bose 901's with most any modern receiver. You do not need tape monitor jacks (in & out) to use the Bose 901's with your stereo. Just buy a $20 switcher: RCA or GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switch available through Wal-Mart or on line. The Bose equalizer plugs into the switcher, the switcher into any input jack on your receiver and then you can choose (on the switch box) which of 4 devices to play (CD, FM radio, computer, Sirus/XM radio, etc.).

Obas
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

1. I have the R-S700, got it from Crutchfield a few years back, it has a closed loop that works great with my series 6, what it lacks is power, 100 watts isn’t enough. I’d like to double that at least, have yet to find the unit that will accomplish that.
Obas
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

I have the R-S700, the closed loop works great with my series 6. However, if your like me, you’ll want to find something with a lot more power, 100 watts isn’t enough to feed the beast.

markow202
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Its hard to find more power than 100 watts these days...but even so how do you know its not enough power?  Distortion or volume knob goes too high while volume not so loud?

jnaron
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

thanks for this tip. may i know which ports do you use in the bose EQ that goes into the switch? Thanks!

deercreekaudio
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

There are many older receivers and amplifiers from the 70's and 80's which had the required tape monitor or pre-out / main-in loops.  Today that is generally reserved for units costing $1,000 and up.

It is possible to use the required 901 EQ with most all of today's Audio Video Receivers (AVR)

Here are three ways you can connect either your BOSE 901 Equalizer or a Deer Creek Audio EQ901B to your Audio Video Receiver (AVR)

Plan A)   EQ901B Set Up using Zone 2 Loop

This example is for the VSX-90, however the same principles apply to your AVR.

1) Connect Zone 2 Pre Out to the EQ901 input.

2) Connect the EQ901 output to an unused analog input such as SAT/CBL

3) Select the Zone 2 source as Analog CD, or whatever your input source is.

4) Select the Zone 1 source as SAT/CBL

The EQ'd signal will now play thru the front speaker outputs in Stereo Mode Zone 1

deercreekaudio_0-1595430267980.png

Plan B)   Adding a separate power amplifier and use the Zone 2 Pre Out to drive it

1) Select the Zone 2 source as Analog CD, or whatever your input source is.

The EQ'd signal will now play thru the front speaker outputs in Stereo Mode Zone 2

deercreekaudio_1-1595430267965.jpeg

Plan C)   Setting up the EQ901B with only one source

1) If for example your only source is a CD player. Connect the EQ901B in between the CD and AVR. This may require the 2V input mode on the EQ901B

The EQ'd signal will now play only when CD is selected as the input on the VCR

deercreekaudio_2-1595430268015.png

tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Mike,

I’ve been using a “switcher” like you have for several years. I don’t know why Bose and others dealers don’t make this work-around known since most receivers don’t have tape monitor jacks. More people could enjoy using their 901’s again!

djpa.topsound
Contributor
Registered since

May 6, 2018

You could also check out the Crown XLS-2502 Power Amp. If pairing it with the Pioneer's preamp section proves cumbersome, you could try the Yamaha WXC-50 Preamp to pair instead with the Crown. The Crown's wattage is 440w RMS/channel which is very close to the 901s' 450w/channel.

tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Your sources (CD, computer, XM radio, Amazon Alexa, etc.) all plug into the 4 inputs on the switch box.

Output of the switch box goes to "amp input" on the Bose 901 EQ.  Output of the Bose EQ goes to an input on your receiver. Mine goes in to AUX. Therefore my receiver is always set on AUX and I choose my source on the switch box.