cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTran6
Participant
Registered since

Nov 1, 2020

Bose Companion 20: Random Popping (low frequency, base)

Hello,

I just bought a Bose Companion 20, and I'm hearing a popping from my speakers randomly. It's a low-level popping and happens randomly even when I don't have any apps playing sound.

I've tried resetting it (unplugging it for 60s and plugging it elsewhere).

It's still happening.

I've tried unplugging everything and re-plugging.

It's currently connected to my Alienware AW3420DW monitor via 3.5 mm cable. 

I've tried both bose and non-base 3.5mm cable and it's occurring.

7 REPLIES 7
Tegan_M

Re: Bose Companion 20: Random Popping (low frequency, base)

Hi MTran6,

Sorry to hear that you are getting some popping from your Companion 20. Thanks for already looking into some great troubleshooting already. 

Can you connect your phone or an alternate device to your Companion 20 to see if this popping persists?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
patrickgoh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2019

Hi Tegan, I have the same issue.  My Companion 20 has long past its warranty.  It has worked well all these years.  I am hardly ever one who will 'torment' my speakers but yet, this sudden popping and cracking came.  I tried the 60 secs reset and powering from a different power out, and also the connection to an alternative device but to no avail.  I also tried replacing with a new audio cable but it didn't work.  I am based in Singapore. I really dread seeing this fine set of speakers R.I.P.  Will be grateful for your advice.  Thanks. 

Vicky_W

@patrickgoh, I am so glad that you have been enjoying your speakers for many years. I am sure we can get this popping noise fixed. The steps you have taken so far are great. Please can you give the steps here and here a try and let me know if they help?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
patrickgoh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2019

hi Vicky, thanks. I wrote to Bose repair center here in Singapore but unfortunately, they advised me that it is not a repairable problem. And if I still want to bring this in to let them diagnose, a fee will apply, etc.  Given their verdict, I have lost hope of sorting this issue out.  Understandably disappointed by the fate.  

Steps I have taken:  1) change audio cable, 2), 60 secs reset, 3) Plug into another computer, 4) Plug into a different power source.

If you see anything that i can try, I will be grateful. Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Patrick

TAAV
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2020

Hello everyone.  After hours of searching the web I seem to have found a fix action for our shared problem.  It has now been about 15 minutes since I implemented the fix and I have not heard the popping sound again.  I hope it works for you as well.  Here are the instructions that I copy and pasted from the website I found them on:

Change the Audio Format

With the audio format setting in Windows 10, you can control your audio frequency to adjust your overall system sound quality. However, some audio devices may hit problems if the frequency is set too high. You should lower your audio format frequency to see if it can resolve audio issues.

To change your audio format, first open the Windows start menu and search for Control Panel. Open the option that appears. 

• Click View by: Large Icons in the top right.
  • Click Sound.
  • Scroll down to your active sound device.
  • Right-click your device and click properties.
  • Click on the Advanced tab.
  • Click on the dropdown menu and select 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz.
  • Click OK to confirm your changes.

Here is the website as well in case you would like to bookmark it.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/windows-10-audio-crackling-10-ways-to-fix-the-problem/

Lastly, if this solves your problem too please thumbs up and marked as solved.

TAAV
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2020

Hello everyone.  Well I am sorry to say that the above action does not seem to have corrected the popping sound issue after all.  The problem remains.  If anyone else does find a solution for this please post it here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Sam_F

Hi TAAV,

I'm sorry to see you come back to inform us the fix you posted was not able to permanently resolve the issue you're experiencing. How soon after trying the steps did the issue return?

Did you attempt any of the steps linked earlier in this thread, to try to amend the problem? If you're not noticing any improvement at all, I would recommend reaching out to local support, to look further into the available service options to have your issue resolved. Let me know if you have any other queries regarding this!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!