bobdanby
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Bose Companion 3 Series 2 Sound Clipping

I have a Bose Companion 3 Series 2 system connected to my computer.

My problem is I like music loud, and when I increase the volume, every so often the music "clips" it stops for a split second with a loud click and then continues. Having read other forums I wondered if it was the DAC in my computer so on recommendation purchased a  Sabre 9018 USB DAC, this have improved the sound considerably but the problem still remains, though it is improved now its not as pronounced or harsh. It doesn't do it all the time but seems worse after the system has been in use for a while.

Has any one come across this problem any pointers would be very gratefully recieved (apart from the obvious "turn the volume down" which defeats the purpose)

Bose product name

Companion 3 series 2

Country

England

Firmware Version

?

App Version

?

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on 

PC with windows 10 professional

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I have a Bose Companion 3 Series 2 system connected to my computer.

My problem is I like music loud, and when I increase the volume, every so often the music "clips" it stops for a split second with a loud click and then continues. Having read other forums I wondered if it was the DAC in my computer so on recommendation purchased a  Sabre 9018 USB DAC, this have improved the sound considerably but the problem still remains, though it is improved now its not as pronounced or harsh. It doesn't do it all the time but seems worse after the system has been in use for a while.

Has any one come across this problem any pointers would be very gratefully recieved (apart from the obvious "turn the volume down" which defeats the purpose)

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet Office

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Been like this since I got the system

Any troubleshooting steps you took

See above

5 REPLIES 5
Jessie_O

Re: Bose Companion 3 Series 2 Sound Clipping

Hey @babdanby, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with your audio chipping and will do all I can to assist you! 

Can you tell me if you experience this issue with all music services? Or is this something you notice with one specific service? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
bobdanby
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Many thanks for responding, and sorry not to have replied sooner.

I have tried inputing music from another computer and my phone. The problem persists, which would tend to indicate that the issue is with the system.

I really love the quality of the sound but this ruins my enjoyment to the point where I will replace it.

I'm tempted by the Bose Companion 50, but worried I will have the same problem.

It would be brilliant if there was a less expensive solution

Keith_L

No worries bobdanby, thanks for getting back to us!

As the clipping sound is present when using other devices as well, you may be correct that the cause is the speakers, but there are some things we can try to get them working correctly at the volume you are after.

As you mentioned you like your music "loud" roughly how high do you have the volume turned up on the speakers themselves? Getting the best sound quality at high volumes is often a balancing act between the volume of the source and the volume of the speakers themselves. You can control the volume of the signal the computer is sending separately to the speakers by using the computer's own volume controls. I tend to find that increasing the volume control of the input source and reducing the volume of the speakers gives a better sound than cranking the input, but it is worth playing with the settings to find the best sound. As you've mentioned that you get this sound from other sources as well, you may find that the opposite is true in your setup, and you need to reduce the volume of the speakers, and increase the volume on the source device instead.

Try changing the volume of the signal the computer is sending to the speakers, then adjusting the volume from the speaker's controls as well to find the best sound at the volume you are after. You can find guides on how to adjust the volume from the computer HERE. It may take a bit of trial and error to get the correct balance, but I'm sure it will be worth it when you do!

Let me know how you get on!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
bobdanby
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Thank you for your suggestion, regrettably this one of the things I have already tried with out success. It does seem that I can achieve higher volumes if I rely on the computers output level than the speakers amplifier to boost the volume however.

Hector_B

Sorry to hear this bobdanby, 

As the issue persists, I would recommend that we do explore service options for the system. To do this please reach out to us via the Contact Us page on your regional support page here.