Bose SoundDock ll - how to use with iPhone X

Silent Starter

Bose SoundDock ll - how to use with iPhone X

I see that I should use the 3.5mm dongle but how do I connect to the SoundDock and do I need some other piece? I need step by step info please.
4 REPLIES 4
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Bose SoundDock ll - how to use with iPhone X

Buy an Apple 30-pin to Lightning Adaptor. Apple just recently discontinued the adaptor but should still be easily available at retailers that sell Apple products. You can also use 30-pin Bluetooth adaptors although you may loose a bit of the SoundDock's remote control functionality. 

Quiet Contributor

Hi - I was able to hook up my IPHONE XR to my SoundDock Series 2 using the 'dongle' and a simple cable that plugs into the audio jack on the back of the sound Dock, BUT - I don't understand why the PIN adapter I purchased which should also work, doesn't.   No sound transfer at all.  Can you explain why the cable works but the adapter doesn't?   I bought the pin adapter and a special cradle to support the iPhone...no dice.   Cost me over $40 and the dongle thing cost nothing because it came with the phone and I had a cable already from something else.   I truly would like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if a pin adapter is simply useless for everyone!  Thanks so much!!!

Friendly Fanatic

@Sher 

Hi, the problem might be your adaptor. Is the Lightning to 30-pin Adaptor you purchased a genuine Apple product or a third party product? I ask because many inexpensive third party 30-pin adaptors are not Apple MFI Certified meaning they lack Apple's MFI (Made For iPhone/iPod/iPad) chip which certifies the adaptor will communicate properly with Apple products. I use a genuine Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adaptor and it works perfectly with my SoundDock. If your adaptor is a third party product look for the MFI logo on the package. 

Apple has recently discontinued the adaptor so you can't buy it from Apple any more but many Apple retailers still have them in stock so check around if you need one. Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Hi - Thanks so much for the tip.   I suspect the adapter is NOT an official APPLE adapter although it sure looks the same.   It came with my cradle adapter.  I will see if I can find an authentic APPLE one because I don't really like the wire hookup.   Messy and unstable when I have to put the phone next to the speaker.   I'm used to hooking up my IPOD CLASSIC to the BOSE system and that is awesome.   Clicks right in and voila!   If I buy an APPLE adapter and if it doesn't work, I just hope I can return it.   Since my IPOD has no internet capability, it would be fun to stream music from the phone through the BOSE speakers.   Again, thanks!   I'll try it!