Highlighted
DonnaReed
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Can I hook up Bose Model 101 Music Monitor Speakers to my imac?

The speakers each have a small red and a small black lever (?) on the back that allow me to attach a wire in each one.  My iMac has USB ports and a place to plug in headphones.  Is there a way to use these together?  I'm longing for more volume from my iMac.  I know nothing about electronics.....  Can you tell?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Can I hook up Bose Model 101 Music Monitor Speakers to my imac?

Author Accepted Answer selected by DonnaReed

Hi there @DonnaReed and welcome to the Bose Community!

That's an interesting thought - I'd be happy to clarify here!

As the Bose 101 speakers are passive speakers, these need to connected to a receiver or amplifier to play audio correctly. A compatible receiver/amplifier would need to run at 10-60W per channel, at 4 ohms.

In your instance, you would need a receiver with a USB, 3.5mm AUX, or Bluetooth output that runs with the above criteria. While there is no current Bose amplifier/receiver that matches these specifications, perhaps a member of the Community could suggest an amp/receiver that might be beneficial to you!

If you're looking for a more plug-and-play experience with your iMac, I would suggest that you look into our Companion Speakers (Version 2 and Version 20) which would be much easier to setup and provide you with a significant boost in volume!

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime 😊.

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Can I hook up Bose Model 101 Music Monitor Speakers to my imac?

Author Accepted Answer selected by DonnaReed

Hi there @DonnaReed and welcome to the Bose Community!

That's an interesting thought - I'd be happy to clarify here!

As the Bose 101 speakers are passive speakers, these need to connected to a receiver or amplifier to play audio correctly. A compatible receiver/amplifier would need to run at 10-60W per channel, at 4 ohms.

In your instance, you would need a receiver with a USB, 3.5mm AUX, or Bluetooth output that runs with the above criteria. While there is no current Bose amplifier/receiver that matches these specifications, perhaps a member of the Community could suggest an amp/receiver that might be beneficial to you!

If you're looking for a more plug-and-play experience with your iMac, I would suggest that you look into our Companion Speakers (Version 2 and Version 20) which would be much easier to setup and provide you with a significant boost in volume!

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime 😊.

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post