Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Companion 3 series ii, Hum from bass module

Have constant low grade hum coming from bass module. Everything is working sound wise. This is noticed while the unit is on with no music playing. If I touch the rca output jacks with satellite speakers connected or disconnected the hum is greatly reduced. Wondering if it is an issue with the jacks, or the board that they connect to. Or possibly a grounding issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Companion 3 series ii, Hum from bass module

Hey @JonahP,

That's an interesting one! From my initial reading, it sounds like a possible grounding issue - have you always have the Companion unit plugged into the same place? Or, have you recently moved it to a different power socket/strip?

What I'd recommend trying first is to isolate the bass module and plug it into its own power socket. Also, you'll find some troubleshooting HERE worth attempting. After, you may notice the buzzing noise disappears. I look forward to hearing the outcome!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Tried those. No change.

Highlighted

Thanks for updating us on this JonahP. 

As asked by Sam above, can you please let us know if have you always have the Companion unit plugged into the same place? Or, have you recently moved it to a different power socket/strip?

Also when plugging the system into a different power socket did the same issue persist?

We look forward to hearing back from you with the answers to the questions above.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Sorry, but unit has been plugged in to the same outlet/power strip for a long time. Plugged unit in to another outlet all by itself and the problem persists. Thanks for the reply.

Highlighted

Thanks for updating me on this JonahP! 

Let's also try resetting the Companion by following these steps below: 

• Turn off the device connected to your product
  • Disconnect the power cord from your product for 30 seconds.

If the issue still persists after this, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our customer service team via clicking this link, then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

I tried what was suggested and still have the issue. Do I call in and have someone assist in troubleshooting the problem?

Highlighted

Sorry to hear this @JonahP

I would recommend reaching out to the team as linked above to see what service options are available for your computer speakers. 

I am deeply sorry that we weren't able to resolve this via the community.