Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

Companion 5 Speakers Volume Issues

I purchased a Companion 5 multimedia speaker system in 2009.  Since that time it has been connected to my Sony  TV; Bravia Mo#KDLV26BR1 and has been working fine.  Anytime I want better sound (listening to music) I touch the control pod.  When watching TV I only use the TV speakers.

Now, I no longer can adjust the volume on the control pod.  The lowest is "very loud" to "extremely loud" on the highest.  It will also come on without me touching the control pod for "NO REASON" and scare us to death. 

What can be done?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Companion 5 Speakers Volume Issues

Hey CR129. Welcome to the Bose Community forums! Thanks for your message.

Happy to hear that you've been enjoying your Companion 5 system over the years. Happy to help where we can. 

I would like to first clarify a few details to ensure you're given the most accurate information. To confirm, how is the TV connected to the Companion system - is this via an auxiliary audio cable? This may be connected to the control pod's audio input jack, noted below. The other end of the cable may be connected to the headphone output port on your Sony TV, also show below. Please do correct me if I am incorrect.

You note when you want "better sound", you touch the control pod. In effect, if the two devices are always connected to each other, this would be muting/unmuting the Companion system. Is this also correct? 

Have you attempted any troubleshooting prior to reaching out to the Community? There's certainly a few steps we can suggest. Firstly, ensure that there's no physical damage to the control pod, or the wiring that connects it to the rest of the Companion system. Try disconnecting the cable that connects the control pod from the Acoustimass bass module directly. Here we can check the connection for any possible damage, and also ensure that it's securely connected when plugged back in once again. 

Following this, does the volume control ring move freely? Let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

There seems to be an issue with the control pod itself. I have seen people complaining about it on the other systems as well. Just search and youtube to find people with the issues.

I have my system for about 10 years. I love it but...I need a guaranteed fix...money...

I carried my system to the local Bose in Trinidad and Tobago but it wasn't fixed; they changed all of the capacitors in the sub. I paid almost half the cost of a new system for it too. It's is still under their fix warranty but I am contemplating if to carry it back because it seems they (and Bose) do not know how to fix it. They took weeks trying to fix it (I am wondering if they just guessed as the problem literally happened when I set it back up.). I don't really want to spend more money for it not be fixed.

Not sure what I'll do when it becomes unbearable. I am not even sure if they still make the control pods. I am also weary to spend money and have the issue reoccur again (this is based on readings of the Companion 20).

My symptoms:

1. Control pod on and off by itself with too much bass but seems to vary with the type bass

2. A crackling or staticky sound sometimes only with too much bass and seems to vary with the type of bass

3. Sometimes the sound will stop but the control pod will be one (green). I have to touch it a few times and then it'll start again (it'll go from orange to green a few times with the touches).

The following seems to have helped bit (from readings online):

1. Dust blow the control pod

2. Play with the control pod connector on the sub

3. Reduce the bass on the control knob on the sub

I highly suspect it is related to power draw as it occurs only with significant bass (for me).

I don't know if the control pod has anything in it that would affect this.

Such a pity. Bose doesn't even have a replacement for the Companion 5 too...

Mitka

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

I agree with the control pod issue.  Although mine does not have a volume problem, mine actually has stopped working.

I cannot adjust volume; however, i adjust using my control on my laptop.  But i think the pod must have broken in a 'loud' state because i cannot reduce the sound to a more acceptable volume.

I am going to try your suggestions that you have seen on Youtube.

I was hoping to possibly purchase a used or new pod; however, i doubt they are available?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

Something worked because i now have control over muting and unmuting; however, i cannot adjust the volume using the turn style on the Pod.  It doesn't do anything.

Highlighted

Hey @rsanita,

I'm glad to hear you have some functionality back. In regards to the control pod, I'd recommend checking it to see if you can notice any damaged cables or broken/bent pins.

Also, I'd attempt to reset the control pod - remove and firmly reseat the control pod cable connector into its jack on the back of the Acoustimass module. Be sure to un-mute the control pod when done. Finally, reset the main system by disconnecting it from power for two minutes and testing afterward. Let me know if you notice any improvement!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!