UKenGB
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 14, 2020

Companion 5 auto standby

As I understand it, if no audio activity on both the USB and the analog input for some time, the unit will go into standby/sleep mode (red light on pod). But what happens when audio starts again?

I was somewhat dismayed to read that in this case it starts up in muted mode, so you have to press/touch the pod to enable audio again. Quite frankly this is such a hideously stupid idea I wonder if in fact that is not true. An external audio system for a PC needs to be able to understand whether the computer is active or asleep/off and automatically switch between ON for the former, but go to standby for the latter. An external audio system should require no more manual control than any internal speaker - just provide the better sound quality.

So, can anyone confirm, is it possible to have the Companion 5 auto switch between standby and fully active?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Re: Companion 5 auto standby

My unit goes into 'red' mode (off) ONLY when the pc or external unit power is off. When the source is powered on the lamp turns 'amber' (standby). When I start audio the lamp remains 'amber' until I touch the pod which then turns 'green' and sound is audible (OR I can touch the pod FIRST to make it active (green) BEFORE I start audio. If I need temporary silence without altering the volume level I touch it again and it turns 'amber' and 'mutes' (standby). This is a logical and wise design.

💀