Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Companion II buzzing when connecting to gaming monitor.

I just set up my companion II speakers at my home work desk. So my goal was to use these speakers for gaming on the Samsung monitor I have. I don't have a computer hooked up to the monitor. Only an Xbox one. So I plugged the the audio cable, that was provided, into the headphone jack in the back of my monitor, and the opposite end into the computer input on the Bose speaker. After turning the speakers on there was an immediate loud buzzing. I messed around with the inputs for a while to troubleshoot. The only solution I've been able to come up with is plugging in the audio cable about half way into the speaker input. As soon at the jack is fully plugged in it begins buzzing again. But with about a half to 3/4 plug in I can get audio out of both speakers without buzzing.

Not sure what is wrong here but would appreciate any feedback.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Companion II buzzing when connecting to gaming monitor.

Hey Anthony,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with buzzing audio on your Companion II - this shouldn't be happening!

It seems as if something in the system isn't grounded and could be causing the issue. Have you tried plugging the Companion II Speakers into a different plug socket/strip, then testing the audio again? Alternatively, have you tried connecting the monitor into a different plug socket/strip?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Thanks for the reply. I can give it a shot. I was thinking it may have been a grounding issue but the buzz was so loud I thought it may have been a connection issue rather than the humming/buzzing you can get from grounding issues. I'll report back once I have a chance to test.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

hi there.

So it has been a few months now of using these speakers, with my monitor, trying various outlets and power strips but the problem still persists. I am able to get sound by only plugging in the audio cord halfway into the back of the speaker but if I fully plug it in I just get a very loud buzzing. I have tried the speakers with other devices and they seem to work fine so I'm not sure what the issue is with the compatibility with this monitor. Additionally, I have used headphes directly from the monitor audio out, without issue.

Highlighted

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the update! It's really odd that this is only happening with this specific monitor and not anything else you have tested them with.

When you were testing with other devices, did you try using another audio cable, in case it's this that the monitor doesn't like?

Could you let me know what the model of your monitor is? I'd like to have a look into the monitor and see if there is anything in its specifications that might provide a clue as to why this is happening

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.