Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobMac
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

Connecting 901 series VI equalizer to Yamaha rx-v367

My old receiver died and my newer Yamaha AV receiver (RX-V367) does not have a tape monitor button or pre-amp out/main amp in jacks.  Is there any way to connect the 901 equalizer to this receiver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Re: Connecting 901 series VI equalizer to Yamaha rx-v367

Author Accepted Answer selected by BobMac

You do not need tape monitor jacks (in & out) to use the Bose 901's with modern stereos. Just buy this $20 switcher: GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switch available through Wal-Mart and on line. The Bose equalizer plugs into the switcher and then you can choose up to 4 devices to play (CD, FM radio, computer, Sirus/XM radio, etc.).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tbgillespie
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by BobMac

You do not need tape monitor jacks (in & out) to use the Bose 901's with modern stereos. Just buy this $20 switcher: GE Pro 4-Device Audio/Video Switch available through Wal-Mart and on line. The Bose equalizer plugs into the switcher and then you can choose up to 4 devices to play (CD, FM radio, computer, Sirus/XM radio, etc.).

View solution in original post

BobMac
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

thanks very much for your help

deercreekaudio
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

Three ways you can connect either your BOSE 901 Equalizer or a Deer Creek Audio EQ901B to your Audio Video Receiver (AVR)

Plan A)   EQ901B Set Up using Zone 2 Loop

This example is for the VSX-90, however the same principles apply to your AVR.

1) Connect Zone 2 Pre Out to the EQ901 input.

2) Connect the EQ901 output to an unused analog input such as SAT/CBL

3) Select the Zone 2 source as Analog CD, or whatever your input source is.

4) Select the Zone 1 source as SAT/CBL

The EQ'd signal will now play thru the front speaker outputs in Stereo Mode Zone 1

deercreekaudio_0-1595430941604.png

Plan B)   Adding a separate power amplifier and use the Zone 2 Pre Out to drive it

1) Select the Zone 2 source as Analog CD, or whatever your input source is.

The EQ'd signal will now play thru the front speaker outputs in Stereo Mode Zone 2

deercreekaudio_1-1595430941614.jpeg

Plan C)   Setting up the EQ901B with only one source

1) If for example your only source is a CD player. Connect the EQ901B in between the CD and AVR. This may require the 2V input mode on the EQ901B

The EQ'd signal will now play only when CD is selected as the input on the VCR

deercreekaudio_2-1595430941658.png

battleofwits
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2021

HI, I'm excited by your response and several options to solve this issue.  I have the RX-V765 and 901 V series but I think your option A will work. I just want to verify.

If I have Audio 2 available is that equivalent to the Analog SAT/CBL port you speak of?

If so, I believe 901 V series EQ connections are:

Amplifier Connection Output (To Amp "Tape In") connect to RX-V765 Audio 2

Amplifier Connection Input (From Amp "Tape Out") connect to RX-V765 Zone 2 Out

RCVR - 1.jpgRCVR - 2.jpg

Can you confirm?

battleofwits
Participant
Registered since

Jun 16, 2021

I bought the switch you recommend. What are the exact hookups between the receiver, switch and bose eq please?

KhaosCraft
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2021

OK I might be a little late on this thread but here's the run down.  I recently got a set of 901s that needed restored for very cheap.  I have restored them and all speakers are working.  Since I don't have an EQ I purchased the Deer Creek alternative.  I plan on hanging them from the ceiling and across from each other about 20 feet apart.  I know bose does not recommend this but I'm very familiar with the 901s and pretty sure they'll sound fine.  My next dilemma is hooking them up to a newer receiver without the tape monitor.  I'm running a Yamaha RX-A3020 and have seen that many people are using a switch to achieve this.  I also have bose Acoutimas VIs and a Klipsch Sub hooked up and would like to have all speakers running in full stereo mode when listening to music, records, youtube, CDs etc. I do not mind if the 901s aren't playing while listneing to TV or movies since they will be across from each other, but I'm not liking the switch idea and would like to hook the EQ up to the amp without losing any of these options I've laid out.  If anyone has done this I'm open to suggestions.  Zone 2 is not an option since all other speakers are on zone 1 and in the near future zone 2 with be running outdoor speakers for deck parties.  THX in advance!