Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2020

FreeSpace 51 replacement drivers

I would like to buy some replacement drivers for my FreeSpace 51 speakers. One driver has failed after 5 years.

The speakers do not get much use and the faulty driver is an electrical problem - the tinsel has corroded next to the speaker cone. My guess is that the paper cone has absorbed moisture over time and this has caused the copper of the lead-out wire ('tinsel') to fail where it goes through the cone. I therefore expect the next speaker of the pair to fail soon, and then the drivers in my other pair bought more recently.

The support section of the Bose website requires a serial number to allow me to continue. The speakers are part buried and so if there is a serial number on the base, it has long gone.

Where can I buy replacement drivers from? Why is this so difficult?!?

4 REPLIES 4
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Re: FreeSpace 51 replacement drivers

Id like to know this too in case it happens to mine.

I understand the driver faces down but in a good downpour, I noticed the driver is wet because it splashes onto it from the plastic enclosure bin.  Mine are deck mounted.

Hey jonc_uk & markow202,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community! 

I am sorry but we do not sell replacement parts separately for your speaker, although we do have repair options. Call your local team to find out more! You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2020

Thanks for this. It looks like I will have to call them.

What a shame the driver is not available since it is a simple process to replace it without having to dig the enclosure out of the ground.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

I’d pull the driver out and get the part number and try calling Bose parts if anything.  I remember a decade ago ordering a similar drive from them for a car $60.