How do I connect my Bose Companion 20 speakers to a Scarlett 2i2

SOLVED
Silent Starter

How do I connect my Bose Companion 20 speakers to a Scarlett 2i2

Hi,

How can I connect my Companion 20 to my Foicusrite Scarlett 2i2 so I can do Direct Monitoring from the Scarlett?

On the bak of the Scarlett there are Right and Left inputs (1/4 inch) that are supposed to go to the right and left speakers of the Bose, but the Companion has the left speaker hooking up into the right speaker, and the right speaker going into my Mac via an 1/8 inch.

Is there some kind of cable I can get to connect them both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I connect my Bose Companion 20 speakers to a Scarlett 2i2

Hey Donna, thanks for the update. Sorry, wish I can be more helpful, but there is little to no information available to us about this device and in this use case. You can give the 8th inch to quarter inch cable a try as that would make the most sense as far as making a connection, but we can't guarantee it will work. Plugging into to the right or left input of the Scarlett should be something Focusrite can help you decide on. 

We hope that you accomplish what is it that you're trying to do! 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

6 REPLIES

Hey DonnaSax,

Thanks for writing into the community. We're not familiar with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 model, and if anyone from the community can chime in, please feel free to do so. 

One theory that comes to mind, do you know if the left and right input on the back of the Scarlett can be used as two separate inputs? For example, input 1 and input 2? If that is possible, then perhaps you can experiment with the headphone jack located on the Companion 20 control pod?  

Also, have you tried reaching out to Focusrite to see if they have information? 

Thanks again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter

HI Mohsin,

Thanks for your response. I did contact Focusrite - they are taking a LONG time to get back to me.

I attached 2 pictures of the Scarlett. I don't think the speaker inputs can be 2 separate inputs...If so, I wouldn't know how to do that.

I hope the pictures help,

Donna

scarlett 2.JPGscarlett 1.JPG

Thanks, Donna, the pictures do help. I recommend taking a look at some of their support articles on their site. There seems to be a way to separate the inputs. Please check out the steps 4 and 5 on this article: http://bit.ly/2Fq7I2N

Not sure what software is required but Focusrite should be able to help you with that. 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

Silent Starter

Thanks Mohsin,

I don't use Cubase - I've been using audacity, but I think I can see how I may be able to apply that there or on Pro Tools First.

My goal is to try to use Direct Monitor on the Scarlett using my Bose speakers.

I'm looking specifcally for the type of cable that can connect from the Companion 20 to the back of the Scarlett.

The left speaker connects to the right speaker (should be a 8th inch) and the right speaker goes into my Mac (seems like an 8th inch - my 8th to 1/4 headphone adaptor did not fit this).

Would I look for a cable that's an 8th inch to quarter inch, and would I only plug into the right speaker input in the back of the Scarlett? 

Or would I look for a cable that's an 8th inch to quarter inch and connect to the front headphone input of the Scarlett? (But that won't really help with monitoring, and I am not sure if plugging my headphones into the Bose pod would work to directly monitor)

Focusrite has been taking a very long time to get back to me. This was their last response from 3 days ago:

"You can get a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter and connect these speakers to the headphone output of the Scarlett to direct monitor if you like, though when recording an interview its usually advised you would use headphones so as not to catch any unwanted audio on the mic. In this instance, you would in danger of a feedback loop which would give you an unpleasant whining sound."

Thanks for your time,

Donna

Hey Donna, thanks for the update. Sorry, wish I can be more helpful, but there is little to no information available to us about this device and in this use case. You can give the 8th inch to quarter inch cable a try as that would make the most sense as far as making a connection, but we can't guarantee it will work. Plugging into to the right or left input of the Scarlett should be something Focusrite can help you decide on. 

We hope that you accomplish what is it that you're trying to do! 

Thanks again,

Mohsin

Silent Starter

I ordered the 8th to quarter inch cable and will be testing that out with regard to direct monitoring recording.

I appreciate your time.

Donna