MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

How to Control Sound with Companion® 5

I have a new Companion® 5 multimedia speaker system connected to my Windows 7 pc. Installation was simple and no issues. System plays great. However, I do not know how to adjust the sound, such as bass, treble, l/r balance, etc. With my previous speakers (Creative Labs 2.1 setup) I would bring up the  Realtek Audio Manager make adjustments via a full equalizer and sound control suite of utilities. Adjustments to these no longer affect the sound output.

Can someone help me with this? -thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Re: How to Control Sound with Companion® 5

Author Accepted Answer selected by MourningStar

"It would be great to know if you have been able to get Realtek audio manager working with the Companion 5s"

Resolved by running a 3.5mm cable from the pc audio line-out to the line-in/aux of the Bose Controller.

🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi MourningStar, 

Thanks for your question.

On the back of your Acoustimass bass module, there you will find a bass compensation button. Rotate the Bass knob to turn up or down the amount of bass produced by your system.

As for treble and left/right balance, it is not possible to alter this from the system itself. However, many devices have sound options, like bass and treble controls or compression. I would suggest that you check the device menu for sound processing option. 

Do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

"However, many devices have sound options, like bass and treble controls or compression. I would suggest that you check the device menu for sound processing option."

Thank you for the reply.

It seems you are not understanding my post. I am aware of the controls you refer to on the Bose hardware. The 'sound processing option' on my pc is known as the Realtek HD Audio Manager (see image). After installation of the Bose system this interface does not alter the sound output whatsoever. Also in the image is the Windows 7 sound dialogue. My previous sound systems used the Realtek. When I make it the default the Bose speakers have no sound. Is there a way to enable the Bose speakers to utilize the Realtek sound processor?RAM1.JPG

Highlighted

Hi Mournignstar,

Thank you for clarifying that for us.

I'm not the biggest expert on Realtek software, it's not something I have used often. However, what it looks like is happening, is that the Realtek HD Audio Manager is only able to affect the audio from your computer when you are using one of the 'Realtek High Definition Audio' devices as your sound output.

As the Companion speakers are showing as a completely separate device in the speaker selection, it could be that the Realtek software is unable to make changes to the signal when it is being handled by the Companions.

From what I know of most Creative Labs speakers they receive their audio information from the computer's audio jack connection, the Companion 5's, on the other hand, receive audio through the USB cable. When using a jack connection, the computer will be using the Realtek playback device which would explain why you were able to use this software to control those speakers but not the companions.

I would like to open this up to the community to offer their advice on this. It would be great to know if you have been able to get Realtek audio manager working with the Companion 5s, or what your favorite EQ software to use is.

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

^

Thank you Keith - I am thinking that any external speakers systems connected to the 3.5mm line-in jacks will be able to use the Realtek Audio Manager. This is the 1st speaker system I have ever used that connects via USB. Why did Bose do this? And why didn't Bose provide their own Audio Manager to use in place of the Realtek? Please recommend an audio management software that will work with these speakers.

Additionally - I came across a USB-to-3.5mm adapter. My hope would be that this piece of h/w will activate the Realtek HD Audio Manager. Before I do this can someone check with the Bose engineers or anyone with this knowledge and let me know if this would be a non-destructive (safe) solution?

-thx

Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Just spoke with Bose - the adapter idea is a no-no. However, I have a new idea and will report back.

please standby ...

Highlighted
MourningStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by MourningStar

"It would be great to know if you have been able to get Realtek audio manager working with the Companion 5s"

Resolved by running a 3.5mm cable from the pc audio line-out to the line-in/aux of the Bose Controller.

🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

View solution in original post