Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 31, 2020

SA-3 comparability with free space 51 environmental speakers

Can the SA-3 receiver with 151 outside speakers be combined with the 51 free space speakers.  If so what connections/wires are needed?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: SA-3 comparability with free space 51 environmental speakers

Hi djshoots,

The SA-3 amplifier can only connect to 1 pair of speakers at a time, so you would have to choose between using the Freespace 51s and the 151s. You wouldn't be able to have both connected to it at the same time. If you wanted to use both at the same time you would need another amplifier to do so.

You could, however, use the amplifier with either of these sets of speakers successfully. As the SA-3 provides a power of 100 W RMS, 6 ohms, and both pairs of speakers require 10-100 W per channel, 4-8 ohms.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 10, 2020

Re: SA-3 comparability with free space 51 environmental speakers

Hello everyone. I have been researching solutions but I find myself at an impasse due to my lack of knowledge about speaker set-ups. I purchased a house last November. This spring, while cleaning up the pool area, I discovered a pair of Bose FreeSpace 51 Speakers (yes, I realize these are not necessarily "budget" speakers). I am looking for solutions in order to play them. The problem is that the speakers are not bluetooth and the pool is set far back from the house, making the process of running wires to the house extremely difficult. I discovered that the previous owner had a stereo receiver to run the speakers and that he had run the speaker wires to the corner of the pool area. My original plan was to get a cheap receiver, but the problem is that I must either build some type of enclosure to protect the receiver or take the receiver inside after every use so that it is not destroyed by the elements.

While researching I came across integrated amplifiers. They seemed to have cheaper options and, more importantly, some of the ones I found were extremely compact, making the idea of carrying it back and forth very appealing. I am on the fence about what to do. Receiver or Integrated Amplifier? The purpose is to run poolside speakers, so obviously I don't need pristine quality. My original budget was $100-$200 but I would consider spending a couple hundred more if it will be really worth it in terms of quality. Also, I am pretty much using an iPod or phone to play songs, so I would prefer having the receiver/amp with bluetooth, but I could always go with an auxiliary line if needed.

Here are links to the speakers and the two integrated amps I was looking at: SMSL AD 18 and the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR513.

Thanks for the advice!