Highlighted
howard.dottin@gmail.com
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 3, 2020

SA-3 stereo amplifier right channel not facilitating stereo

I have a Bose 251 environmental speakers attached to a Bose Lifestyle SA-3 amplifier, which in turn is connected to a Bose Homewide wireless Audio Link.   The speakers were replacement speakers purchased on December 9, 2011, while the amplifier and Audio Link were purchased in April 2008. 

On New Year’s Day when attempting to play music there was no output through the 251 speakers.  I replaced the 12 year old wires with new 16 gauge wires and sound emerge again from the speakers.  However, while the speaker that’s attached to the left channel was playing normal, the one attached to the right channel was almost inaudible.  I switched around the speakers to see if the speaker attached to the right channel was the problem.  However, both speakers when attached to the left channel works properly, but which ever one is hooked up to the right channel plays very softly. 

I subsequently changed the amplifier mode switch from the factory set ‘stereo’ to ‘mono.’  When this was done both speakers playing evenly on both channels.  Therefore, it seems that the problem only exist a on the right channel when the amplifier mode switch is set on ‘stereo.’  Is there a ‘cure’ for this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SA-3 stereo amplifier right channel not facilitating stereo

Hello howard.dottin,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some intermittent audio problems with your SA-3 amplifier and 251 speakers. 

So that I can better understand the setup, would you be able to detail how everything is connected?

Also, to confirm, is the first time you've had these particular products connected? Or has this been working before fine and suddenly started happening?

As a basic procedure, I would recommend giving the whole system a power cycle. This can be done by removing the power for 60 seconds.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

howard.dottin@gmail.com
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 3, 2020

Thanks for your response.  I have the Lifestyle 35 media center hooked up to the Acoustimass with the normal five speakers attached.  This system is located in the main room.  In additional I have the media center hooked up to a Bose transmitter (i.e. Bose Link AL8), and it transmits to the Bose Link AL8 receiver.  The receiver is connected to the SA-3 stereo amplifier that services the two 251 speakers on the patio. 

Everything was working fine until New Year’s Day.  Therefore, this is the first time that the problem occurred.  Despite changing the wires (from the amp to the speakers) and switching to the ‘mono’, if I try to play music from a source other than what is stored in the media center, the music coming out of the speakers on the patio disappears and I start hearing a cackling or scratchy sound coming out of the speakers.  When I switch back to the ‘Stored’ music everything sounds goods again and starts working in sync with the speakers in the main rooms.

In summary, (i) when the stereo switch on the amplifier the sound coming out of the right channel speaker is very low, and (ii) changing from the ‘Stored’ source to the ‘CD’ source leads to the 251s (i.e. the patio speakers) not picking up the music and having instead a scratchy sound.    

I hope the above provides the requisite clarity.  Nonetheless, I will try the “power cycle” in the interim.

Hi howard.dottin,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with this detailed explanation. You've taken some great steps to troubleshoot this problem. 

Are you able to confirm the model number of your Lifestyle 35 just so I can check which series this is?

Which expansion remote are you using? 

Please try reseating the Bose Link cables as a poor connection could affect one channel. Additionally, check the condition of the pins in the connector. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G