Highlighted
Brent1990
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Soft white noise when listening to headphones plugged into Companion 2

When plugging in headphones to my Bose Companion 2 speakers, I hear soft white noise.

The noise is relatively soft, so I don't really notice it when playing music, but I thought it's still a problem that should be fixed.

The noise doesn't get any louder or softer if I raise or lower the volume. (Same amount of noise whether the volume is at 0 or maxed)

I have tried restarting the PC as well as replugging the speakers into different outlets.

I don't hear the noise if I'm not using headphones.

Also, plugging in the headphones directly into the PC (instead of through my Bose speakers) gets rid of the white noise, but is pretty annoying since the wire doesn't reach my chair from my computer.

Are there any other steps I can take to troubleshoot?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Soft white noise when listening to headphones plugged into Companion 2

Hi @Brent1990,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing the white noise audio issue when using the Companion 2 speakers - I'd love to assist.

In regards to the issue, have you been able to try a different audio cable at all, to see if the white noise persists? Also, what headphones are you plugging into the companion speakers?

Warm regards,
Sam F - Community Support

Brent1990
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi @Sam_F 

Thanks for the reply!

I am using Sony MDRXB50AP headphones. (brand new)

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-Extra-Earbud-Headset/dp/B00JRD13T8

I tried using some different headphones (Samsung galaxy ear buds that came with the phone) with my Bose Companion 2 speakers, and the white noise issue didn't happen.

However, I also tried the Sony headphones directly into the computer, and the white noise also didn't happen.

So it seems to be a combination of the Bose speakers + the Sony headphones that results in the white noise.

Hi Brent1990, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

Thanks for all that information! I think you might be right. As the speakers work fine without headphones and with other headphones, I'd be happy to say that there isn't an issue with the speakers. It may just be an issue with this particular set of headphones with this system. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Brent1990
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hmm, as I mentioned, the headphones work fine when plugged into anywhere else (my phone, my computer directly) except for the Bose speakers. That suggests to me there might be some issue with the Bose speakers. Maybe the Bose speakers are always producing the white noise, but my lower quality headphones don't pick it up, while the higher quality Sony's pick it up.

Hi Brent1990,

Thank you for providing that update

It is possible that the white noise we are hearing is being caused by crossing or touching wires. Depending on the shielding on the headphones cable, if your cable was to cross over or touch other cables you can sometimes get unwanted sound int he headphones. Usually, the main culprit for this is power cables, but it is worth checking any wires nearby.

If we were to move the cable for the headphones, or other devices in your setup, would we still get this white noise? 

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Brent1990
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. Crossing/touching wires is the first thing I thought of, and it doesn't seem to be the case here since I did a test setup on a separate outlet (away from all my other cables) + with all the cables fully straightened out and not touching, and the white noise issue was the same.

Additionally, if it had to do with interference, I would expect the white noise to vary a bit when I reposition the cables. However, this isn't the case.

Also, the white noise happens even if my Bose speakers aren't plugged into any audio source at all (simply plugged into an outlet).

Hey Brent1990, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this! 

Can you please try and deactivate the mic in your headset to see if the same issue occurs? I would also like for you to test a few different headsets that have mic's to see if the same issue occurs across all the devices.

I look forward to hearing back from you and would love to hear from any other users with this issue. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

Brent1990
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi Hector_B,

How do I "deactivate the mic in my headset"?

It's just ear buds, rather than a headset.

I have Windows set to use a separate mic which is far away from the ear buds/speakers.

Brent

Hey Brent1990, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this! 

Are you able to deactivate the mic via settings on the PC? If not I would highly recommend getting in touch with our customer service team via clicking this link, then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be able to look into this further to see if the Companion 2 requires service. 

Kind regards,

Hector B