Highlighted
JennT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

SoundDock Portable Digital Music System

My SoundDock has started making noise while it is off and charging. I thought maybe the battery was the problem and replaced it, but it continues to make the noise with the new battery. It is an electronic “blooping” kind of sound. Has anyone else had this happen and know how I might be able to fix the problem?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: SoundDock Portable Digital Music System

Hello JennT, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. Sorry to read that you have encountered a strange issue with your speaker, I would love to assist you further. 

Let's start with performing a reset on the speaker by following these steps below: 

• Remove the iPod from the dock
  • Remove the battery pack
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Reattach the battery pack
  • Retest the system

Can you please also test using the speaker with a wired power connection? 

I look forward to hearing back from you and any other user has this issue. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

JennT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Hi, Hector -

Thank you for your response.  I have tried resetting the speaker as you describe, and unfortunately I am having the same issue.  This is what I have noticed:

• The speaker only makes the sound when plugged in to a wired power source.
  • The battery (which is the new replacement battery I purchased this week) does not seem to be charging; after being plugged in for well over 24 hours it does not power the speaker, and holding down the "off" button on the remote produces a red light.
  • The speaker will play the ipod when plugged into a wired power source, but it continues to make the strange "blooping" sounds both during play and when the ipod is not being used and the speaker is off.

I appreciate any further advice or insight you (or anyone else) might have for me.

Thank you!

Hello JennT,

Thanks for getting back to us with these details.

It sounds as though the power supply could be faulty. Are you able to try it in a different power outlet?

Also, if you remove the battery and connect to the power, does the speaker exhibit the same behavior?

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

JennT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Hi, Charlotte -

Thank you for the suggestions. 

A different power outlet did not produce different results.  The sound continued when the speaker was plugged in, and the battery still failed to charge. 

However, when I removed the battery and left the speaker plugged in, there was an initial brief period when the sound continued but then it stopped.  The unit is getting enough power to play music from my iPod, though.  I had been thinking that perhaps there was a flaw in the charging cord, but now I am not sure.  

I appreciate your assistance and look forward to your ideas and advice!

Hello JennT, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

What are you connecting to the actual dock of the SoundDock Portable? Are you using a device that has direct compatibility (30pin connection) or are you using an adapter to use a newer device (e.g iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8, X, XS, 11.) or even a Bluetooth adapter? I'm wondering if this could be the reason why you are experiencing the issue.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

JennT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Hi, Jeff -

It is an iPod with direct compatibility, there is no need for an adapter.  

Also, I'd like to note that the speaker makes the sound whether the iPod is docked or not, and that other speakers do not make the sound when the same iPod is connected to them.

Thanks for your help!

Hi JennT,

Thank you for providing that information for us.

Just as something to check, with the battery removed. If we disconnect the speaker from the power does it make the sam blooping noise once? And does it do the same when we first plug it in?

The SoundDock Portable is supposed to emit a tone when first connected to power/the battery. If it is the same sound we were constantly when the battery was charging, it could be that the connection was not quite correct for the battery. 

Could we check the battery is connected like it is in our guide HERE?

Kind Regards,

Keith L

JennT
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Hi, Keith -

Yes, it does make the noise when we first connect and disconnect the power, and yes, it is the same noise it has been making anytime the battery is connected and the speaker is plugged in.

I have carefully connected both the old and new batteries to the speaker being sure they are properly connected, but unfortunately it continues to make the same noise.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Jenn, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

You noted earlier that the issue only occurs when plugged into a power source. This could potentially be due to interference passing through to the system when connected. Are you using an extension cord or is the speaker plugged directly into the outlet? Have you tried connecting to different outlets in the home or a friend/family member's home?

Is there anything else worth noting about the product that may be relevant to the issue?

Kind regards, 

Jeff G