Highlighted
trana
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

Very bad Sound with HDMI from AppleTV to Soundbar700 - works with AirPlay

I changed my old 3-2-1 to a soundbar 700 a month ago. I plugged it in on the TV but felt the sound was very flat and hollow.

I then bought a base module 700. But it did not make that big difference still flat and hollow sound and the base that stands at 100+ vibrates very easily.

Now I have spent a day doing all possible tests.

1. AppleTV 4-> HDMI -> Panasonic OLED TX-55GZ960E -> HDMI (ARC) -> Soundbar700 = poor sound no bass
2. AppleTV 4-> HDMI -> Panasonic OLED TX-55GZ960E -> Optical cable -> Soundbar700 = poor sound no bass
3. AppleTV 4-> Air-Play -> Soundbar700 = "the roof lifts!" with heavy bass and rich sound

I do not want to run Air Play as this causes sync problems with TV picture + that it is not possible to control functions that require HDMI for audio on off etc.

Why is there a difference between HDMI and Air Play. Any suggestions on what to do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Very bad Sound with HDMI from AppleTV to Soundbar700 - works with AirPlay

Hi Trana,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with your Soundbar and your TV audio, and I would be happy to help with this.

From how you are describing this issue, it does sound like it may be down to an audio setting on your TV, as when we bypass the TV and use Airplay we do get the quality of sound we expect.

One of the key things to look at on your TV that I would recommend we test is the HDMI Audio Format option in the Sound Settings. It should give us the option for 'Auto', 'Bitstream' and 'PCM'. It is worth switching between these and seeing if we get better audio quality through the TV this way.

I did also see that your TV has EQ controls built-in as well, so it may be worth experimenting with these as well as some of the other audio settings available as well.

Let us know how you get on!

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

trana
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

I can make the choice on TV to run TV Audio / home theater audio. When I make the home theater choice, most of the choices, such as eq-controls, disappear.

Those who remain are
-Dolby Atmos - on / off
-HDMI audio format - Auto / PCM / BitStream
-PCM otic level - 0dB, -1dB ...- 10dB

I have run several tests with these HDMI / Optical cables. But it is as if the sound is suffocating somewhere. When I switch on AirPlay, the fullness increases directly and you can for example feel on the base module that it is alive and vibrating.

Maybe you can run some other tests to see if the "error" is in the TV itself (which is brand new)?

Hi Trana,

Thank you for testing that and letting us know.

If the sound is working fine via Airplay direct to the soundbar, my suspicion would be that it is the TV affecting the signal somehow. I know some Apple TV models do have an optical output on them, if yours does, we could try connecting directly to the TV and bypassing the TV completely.

We could also try connecting the Apple TV to a different HDMI port on the TV and see if that makes any difference to the sound.

Another thing that would be useful to test, would be if we could try another source with the TV. Do we have something like a DVD/Blu-ray player we could test with? If possible we could try connecting through the TV and direct to the soundbar via optical, depending on connections available.

Kind Regards,

Keith L