Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

bose 901 series 3 equalizer problem

I just orded a series 3 901 equilizer to go with my 901 speakers.  But theres a problem. The left channel works perfectly, but the right channel is about 30 db quiter.  I couldn't even tell it was on at first.  I've tried re-flowing the solder on the rca jack, and where the rca connects to the board.  That didn't help.  So if anybody knows which components I should consider replacing?  The big caps perhaps?  I'm not quite sure so any help would help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Re: bose 901 series 3 equalizer problem

Author Accepted Answer selected by jakeman90210

Guess what! I ordered $7 worth of capacitors and spent 10 minutes soldering and I solved my problem! 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Hi Jakeman90210, 

thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your 901 equaliser. I'd be happy to assist you! 

I would recommend trying the left channel on the right side by swapping the speaker cable. I'll be able to tell a lot from the system based on whether the issue moves or stays with the swapping of the cables. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

I have tried that.  No need for the beginer troubleshooting stuff, I'm a full time live audio engineer,  and I've done all of the simple troubleshooting possible without replacing componenets.  I've read up and I think I'm going to start by replacing all of the electrolitic capacitors.

Highlighted

Hi Jakeman90210, 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I understand you may be an audio engineer. Can you confirm if the issue traveled? or it stayed on the same channel? 

If your issue stayed on the same channel it's likely that you'll need a repair, or like you said, replace a component. 

I will be unable to offer any kind of assistance with regards to replacing components as this is not recommended. 

If there is anything else we can do please let us know! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

I told you I'm an audio engineer as to imply that I am not stupid and obviously already tried switching the cable and a myriad of other troubleshooting techniques.  Yes, the right channel continued to malfunction even with a known good cable.  And since you cannot advise me which component to replace, I will just replace all of the electrolitic capacitors.  As you said, that is not recommended, but I'm going to take a chance and hopefully make it out alive.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

First off this site is for helping Bose owners use their equipment, not for over-the-internet electronic repairs. I'm going to guess because you are here asking what to replace Audio Engineers are neither trained nor have access to test equipment for electronic repairs. For your own safety to do so would simply be irresponsible. Rather than possibly hurt yourself or cause more damage I strongly suggest you have a qualified shop do the repair. Cheers.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by jakeman90210

Guess what! I ordered $7 worth of capacitors and spent 10 minutes soldering and I solved my problem! 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

May 23, 2020

Great job!  My soldering game isn't as strong as I would like, so I ended up shipping my Series V EQ off to Rain City Audio for a quick repair.