boseynosy
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2019

Bose Wave AWRCC5 - Please Wait, and that's it!

I would like to get an old Bose AWRCC5 working.

When I turn it on, all I get on the display is "Please wait" and that's it.

I can set the clock

I can insert a CD, mostly it then ejects again. But sometimes it stays in but the player does not spin up. It does not play. When the disc does stay in, I can eject it.

There's nothing coming up on the display for the tuner, therefore the radio has failed.

I'm ok with working on the electrics but not too savvy on finding the fault.

Does anyone have any idea as to the problem?

It seem there's a single component causing the overall problem.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Bose Wave AWRCC5 - Please Wait, and that's it!

Hello, 

Welcome to the Bose community and thank you for posting. 

There are a number of things you can try to attempt to resolve this issue.

- If you have another device connected (Multi-disc changer, DAB module, SoundTouch pedestal) please disconnect the BoseLink cable. If this resolves the problem, please contact Bose to seek service on the Boselink device. 

- Perform a factory. Unplug the speaker from power for 1 minute, then plug it back in. Re-test. 

- Contact Bose to for service if the above does not resolve the issue. Details can be found here.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Bose Community

Highlighted
boseynosy
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2019

All that happens when I turn the power on is the time and a message "Please wait" which flasshes 3 times. If then I select FM/PM or CD, absolutly nothing happens.

In fact all I can do is insert CD's and eject them, and access all the menu functions. That's it.

One or more PCB components must have failed.

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear this issue still persists. 

If these methods did not help you at this time, I would encourage you to get in contact with your regions Bose customer service, there an agent will be able to discuss with you what options are available to you at this time.  Please follow THIS LINK, select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information and an agent will be more than happy to assist you. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

boseynosy
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2019

I've decided to take it apart for testing the components, fault finding and to effect the repair myself.

boseynosy
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 8, 2019

OK, so this is what's happened so far.

I found this AWRCC5 Bose Wave radio and CD player that someone had thrown away.

I took it home and tested it to find the following:

1. When I turned on mains power I saw the clock time and the message “Please wait flashes 3 times
  2. When I pressed FM/AM on the remote, the message “Please wait” appears for a few seconds then nothing happen.
    The FM/AM radio did not work
  3. When I pressed CD on the remote, “Please wait” flashes 3 times
  4. CD’s could be inserted but would not spin up or play. Sometimes I had to try inserting the CD’s a few times because they ejected. When they did stay in, I could eject them using the remote.
  5. I could access all menus with the remote
  6. When I pressed ON/OFF on the remote, nothing happened, “Please wait flashed 3 times and the clock time remained on. I’m guessing that if the radio/CD was on it should turn off using the on/off on the remote, but the time would remain.

So this is how I fixwd the problems

I removed all of the SMD capacitors on both the main and processor PCB's and replaced them with better quality Nichicon capacitors and a couple of Panasonic capacitors, all rated at 105 degrees C.

The original SMD capacitors, I'm sorry to say, were really not of a good quality, many had failed.

After the upgrade, the sound quality is a lot better and everything works perfectly.

Hello Boseynosy, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

The information you have provided will hopefully help another user if they find an old system they would like to restore. We are so happy to hear that you got the speaker up and running. 

If you do need further help one of our team would be more than happy to talk any issues though with you. You can reach the team using the contact details above. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W