gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Bose Wave Radio IV with Alexa Input Device

I recently purchased a Bose Wave Radio IV with Alexa Input Device from QVC. Both devices are working, BUT I can't get Alexa to control the volume on the Radio which is connected to my bedroom TV. Both the TV's audio and the Alexa Input are connected through the Radio's AUX port using a Y splitter. What can I do to get Alexa to control the Radio volume?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Bose Wave Radio IV with Alexa Input Device

Hello @gdean44,

Thank you for taking the time to post, and welcome to the Community!

I understand this would be frustrating and would love to look into this for you.

In this instance, can I ask that you try and play a source through either the Wave or the Alexa, and ask the system to adjust the volume then?

Please get back to to let me know what happens so I can help address this for you!

Liam W - Community Support

gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Sure. Alexa WILL control the volume of any app that Alexa is running, but when the TV is playing through the AUX, asking Alexa to change her volume level does NOT impact the volume of the TV through the Wave Radio

Thank you for checking this for me.

This sounds like the splitter cable is blocking this input then.

When you are playing audio from the TV, this is going down one path from the Y-Splitter cable that you are using. When you are then asking the Alexa to change the volume for the speaker, this is trying to pass the signal down the other end of the Y-Splitter, and as a result, this signal is blocked as the other path is in use and the system cannot process the request to change the volume for you.

You would find that you are still able to adjust the volume for the Wave IV through the remote control for this system, as this is not being run through this cable.

As an alternative, you might want to try connecting this Alexa Echo input to the TV, and then cabling this output to the Wave, and checking if this is able to process your voice requests for the wave this way.

I hope this helps, and please get back to me to let me know if this solution works!

Liam W

gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Thanks. I’ll try that & post the results
gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

I did try that connection configuration (Alexa output to TV input, then TV output to Wave AUX. this still doesn’t allow volume control through Alexa
gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

As one other resort can you suggest a universal remote that would control the Wave volume AND the TV & cable? Or can you suggest a code for the Wave Radio for my Cable remote

Hi Gdean, 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I'm sorry to hear this configuration was unsuccessful. 

We cannot recommend any third party products to work with our products I'm afraid. 

Kindest, 

Jessie

gdean44
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 17, 2019

None of your suggestions corrected the problem. I have changed to a “smart” universal remote which solves the issue