shmattson
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

Re: Bose Wave radio

Seems to be a lot of external and internal parts.  Wow.  Thanks!

Beatlephantom
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 14, 2019

Hi Silent Starter,

The exact same thing happened to me this morning. My Bose Wave radio has the same model # AWR1-1W  (sticker C9543). All the lights went on and the radio won’t respond to pushing any buttons. I unplugged it for an hour...no change.  I changed the 3 AA batteries...no change. My remote did nothing but the battery is old and I never use it so I plan on getting a replacement battery today if I can locate one on a Sunday. In terms of service history, I had to bring mine in for a “cleaning” at least 10 years ago when it went dark. I thought the same thing then about the operator’s quote (very specific amount like $93 or something) to repair it without examining it first. It made me think this was happening to other customers so I wondered why Bose wasn’t issuing a recall for their customers instead of charging us. Anyway, I was hoping you could advise me on what to do. How did you resolve this?

Thanks

Beatlephantom

Highlighted
Philip The K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 18, 2019

Hi, BP,

The way I finally resolved my issues was to bite the bullet and submit the unit for service.  And I paid for it.  In considering the various options, my wife and I concluded (it was really in her study) that no other comparable devices fitted her needs as well as a Bose Wave unit.  There were cheaper alternatives and more comprehensive ones but we decided to stay with the Bose format.  I took the unit to the Bose retail store in the Time Warner building in Manhattan (most convenient location to us) because I was not sure if it was operator error, an easy software reset or something more serious and was met by a very sympathetic and understanding sales rep.  He tested the unit and confirmed my evaluation that it was a Bose problem.  He called Bose HQ and talked to a customer service rep who was also very good.  After discussing the matter with the in-store rep, she laid out my options.  I elected to send it back and have it serviced for, I think, about $130.  While I have seen chat on being able to wangle a discount out of Bose on that number, I didn't bother.  The in-store rep took the device and handled all the packing and shipping which I really appreciated.  They quoted me a turnaround time of, I think, 3-4 weeks but if came back in under two weeks.  With it was a listing of the four major parts that had been replaced.  I am not technically proficient in this field so I don't really know what the parts were but they all seemed like a big deal; probably most of the electronic circuitry (the speakers, etc., all seemed fine beforehand).  I had also turned in the remote control but that was not returned to me.  When I got on the phone to Bose customer service to point that out, they quickly sent out a new one gratis without hesitation or question.  

As it turns out, I also had an older (+/- 23 years) Bose Wave radio that had turned belly-up years ago and was now relegated to deep storage awaiting a Second Coming.  I had taken that into the Bose store at the same time and was told that it was completely out of warranty (it was essentially a white doorstop brick) but that Bose would give me a 30% credit on a new purchase replacement, in-store or on the net.  I elected to buy one there and then on that basis and walked out the store with a brand-new one and a still not-insignificant hit to my credit card.  So, now we have three Bose Wave radios (including the one we have that hasn't died yet).  

In conclusion, I am happy with both repair transaction and the replacement of the older one, although I fully appreciate that being very personal value choice.  Yes, I am unhappy that both my Wave radios did not last longer and it does seem to be a common fault in the product line but I don't know what to do about that.  I have a KLH radio of about the same size that is more than fifty years old and still going strong although it neither sounds as good nor in any way can be considered modern.  Philosophical rant NOT to follow.  

What works best for you is a personal choice.  If the cost is manageable, I would go for it.  That is the worst of it.   Bose seems to do a very thorough job and there may be more wrong with your unit than you can appreciate.  I know that some posters have speculated that there is some minor software glich that Bose can fix with a master reboot or something.  Based on my experience, I do not think that is the case.  I feel I got physical value for money on the repairs and in no way feel ripped off by this experience. If I was "ripped off," it was when I bought the thing in the first place which only had a functional half-life of ten years but I did not know that at the time and there is nothing I can do about that now.  If I get another ten years out of the repaired unit, it will have served its purpose.  And my new replacement Bose Wave radio probably has a greater functional half-life than do I, but I made that wager when bought the replacement.  

If convenient to you, I would also recommend taking the unit into a Bose retail store.  That way, someone knowledgeable can check it out with no downside and intermediate with Bose customer service, if appropriate.

Beatlephantom
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Apr 14, 2019

Thank you for the quick and comprehensive response. I’ll follow your advice and post what happens in a few weeks. BP
AJCG1949
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

My Wave System started showing the please wait text this week. I called the BOSE store and they gave me the address of the repair center in San Juan, PR. Guess what? The cost is $190. Would you pay this to have your system repaired. I bought it in 2008,

Thanks, 

AJ

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I guess that would depend on the cost of a new system to replace it.  And, would a new system give you some improvements that would justify a price higher than the cost to repair what you already have.  What you paid 11 years ago is irrelavent.  Also, what is the warranty on a repaired device?

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@AJCG1949 wrote:

My Wave System started showing the please wait text this week. I called the BOSE store and they gave me the address of the repair center in San Juan, PR. Guess what? The cost is $190. Would you pay this to have your system repaired. I bought it in 2008,

Take your 190.00 and put towards a new Wave radio. They are very nice and support SoundTouch if you want to start a network system.

Alternatively one of the even newer Smart 500 speakers.

Linnny
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2019

good morning; i was tracking this convo last evening after a cpl days of PLEASE WAIT messgs and odd settings.  This morning (Sunday) I unplugged my AWRCC2 thinking I would pack it and prep to call about repair, or other plans.  It was unplugged a few hours while looking for packing, and just before grabbing box and bubble, I plugged it back in as a 'what-if?'  - -There was instant power ON,  sound, NO PLEASE WAIT,  my preset stations are there - this all has me pleasantly surprised and puzzled, with emphasis on pleasantly surprised.  Who knows how long this will go on - just sharing. I will set my phone alarm tmmr just in case, but am hoping I'll wake to music and morning news.   Good luck all.  

BALANCIERE
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

I am having that same issue. I am looking through the ema...

I am having that same issue. I am looking through the emails but have not found an answer. Is there a solution. I tried the Bose support website. No help. 

Re: I am having that same issue. I am looking through the ema...

Hi Balanciere, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am sorry to hear that you are also having this issue and would love to assist you further. 

Firstly, can you please confirm if you have attempted all the steps in this thread? If you have and your issue still persists, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

I am sorry that this isn't something that we can resolve via the community. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B