rhitch
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

Re: Bose Wave radio

@Manojonline123 wrote:
We all have done typical troubleshooting (which is not a whole lot to be honest and most lame troubleshooting one would ever hear) - switching off, taking out AUX wires, letting it in off state for an hour, switching back again etc. Bose knows they sneaked in a rogue code that suddenly these systems are breaking down.

Just developed the same issue last night. Clock keeps time, receiving signal from the remote, but flashes "Please Wait" below the time. No sound output, all functions of the remote result in the same "Please Wait" issue. I have unplugged the unit and nothing changed. All of my audio equipment is Bose from home theatre, computer, and even headphones. This is my first time being disappointed in the product.

Hello rhitch! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that's happening, but am glad to assist. Could you tell me which model Wave you have? The post you quoted is at least partially correct, these aren't overly complex devices and there is not a lot of troubleshooting. I'd like to help you with what is available!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

rhitch
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

The one bigger than an average alarm clock. CD player with no buttons. Purchased approximately 11-12 years ago. 

Hello rhitch,

Thanks for the additional information! There are three possible solutions:

• If your Wave is a destination connected by Bose Link cable. Disconnect/Re-connect cable. If the problem reappears replace the cable.
  • The device processor needs to be rebooted with these steps: 
  1. When the WMS is by itself, follow these steps:
  2. If there is a disc in the system, eject it whenever possible
  3. Turn the system off
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the WMS. Wait 30 seconds
  5. Reconnect the power cord - If there is a disc in the system that was not previously ejected, the disc should eject. The disc will automatically reload if it is not removed within 10 seconds
  6. Retest the system
  • If the reset doesn't correct the problem, you should contact Customer Support for available service options. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us". 

Best Regards,

Greg 

Philip The K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 18, 2019

Add my complaint to the obviously growing pile.  I have another +/-10-year-old Bose Wave Radio that offers "Please Wait" when turned on.  Many functions work.  It will operate the CD in/out mechanism, the clock works and is adjustable, volume shows up and down although mute.  Powering off for a few minutes as suggested has no effect.  I had another Bose Wave Radio that also died a few years ago.  How can you build a Brand Name reputation on quality and demand premium pricing with this sort of non-performance?  The $120 that you charge for a repair goes along way in today's technology market.  Advice: Get Real.

Manojonline123
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Welcome to the club, Phillip!
I had to shell out ~$90 for the repair. They fix replace most of the parts and it looked like new again. However, they didn’t specify what part of hardware or software was malfunctioning. It could have been as simple as change the date in the software to 20 years or 30 years. Since all of the devices are dying after 10 years or so, it has to do with a rogue code inserted in the software. Perhaps not in the entire line of production, may be some limited batches. Bose can repair the devices and send back but it doesn’t absolve them of their responsibility. They must tell what’s wrong that all devices are experiencing similar problem around the same time. They are simple devices and don’t have life limited parts like aircraft engines. Audio players easily functions for 20-30 years, especially when they are just lying around at one place and not being moved like mobile devices. Shame on Bose for not finding out (or for not telling us) what the exact issue with these devices is!!!
Philip The K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 18, 2019

Somehow, I have recovered SOME operation of the Wave Radio/CD.  I am not sure what I did.  I insistently played around with the reset function put I cannot say with any precision what actually resulted in the current state of operation.  Now, the FM radio plays; it even recognizes the preset station settings.  However, the CD still does not function other than accepting the physical CD and rejecting it on command.  I have not tested the AUX function.  

I cannot really find any documentation on the Bose support web pages that helps.  This is ridiculous.  Obviously, this is a software problem that Bose should be able to explain.

Hi Philip The K,

Thanks for posting. I understand the frustration.  I would recommend giving our support team a call in your region to answer your questions. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

rhitch
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 16, 2019

As expected the reboot procedure did nothing. Assuming that leaving it unhooked overnight didn't mess up the process. I have decided to try a less expensive Onkyo system. However, I will say that I really enjoyed the incredible performance of the Wave radio. I used it nearly daily for 12 years, since it was linked to one of my TVs for additional sound support with zero issues until this event.

Philip The K
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 18, 2019

My initial flush of relief and sense of achievement of two days ago has not been thoroughly disipated. I am back to square-one where nothing works beyond the "--Please Wait--" flash when the device is turned on.  Whatever success I enjoyed and reported on above is gone in the mists of Bosedinia.  I will try Tony's suggestion of dealing with Bose Support and report back.  Please do do describe me as "Audible Advocate" as I am neither "Audible" nor an "Advocate."