SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Gotta Dump Windows Media Player Library

Using SoundTouch IV. Great sound. But annoyed with WMP error prone ripping. Missing files etc. Gotta find something better.

Currently my source files are on a PC. I know that, in this environment, I must use iTunes or WMP.

So, if I move my source files to a NAS, can I get some suggestions as to which library software will work. Looking at WD My Cloud or Synology NAS

Hope you can help me out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Gotta Dump Windows Media Player Library

Author Accepted Answer selected by SingingEyeTie

Hello SingingEyeTie,

The WD MyCloud NAS drives are storage devices. They have library management functions but do not appear to include ripping CD's. For that you would need separate software on your PC. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

9 REPLIES 9

Hi SingingEyeTie,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Synology no longer works with SoundTouch. We recommend that you look at the WD My Cloud systems. Also, you wouldn't need any library software as it has it built in with the WD My Cloud storage. 

Hope that helps. Let us know if there is anything else you need. 

Thank you,

Mohsin - Community Support

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Will the built in Media Player in the WD Cloud NAS rip CD’s as well, or is it just a library management tool?

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by SingingEyeTie

Hello SingingEyeTie,

The WD MyCloud NAS drives are storage devices. They have library management functions but do not appear to include ripping CD's. For that you would need separate software on your PC. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Thanks very much. This is the kind of good practical advice that I was hoping to get. I will rip my cds with MediaMonkey.

Hey SingingEyeTie,

You're very welcome! Glad to help. Come back and let us know what solution you went with and how it works for you! 

Best Regards,

Greg

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Using SoundTouch System IV now with MyCloud Ex2 Ultra NAS. 

I have added some flac music files to the NAS. Plex Media Server shows the files.

I have added the Plex Media Music Service on the SoundTouch app (IPad) but my library won’t sync.

I can play music directly, on my PC, using the Plex Media Server with the MyCloud dashboard. But can’t see any music available when I try to play through my SoundTouch System IV. I get message saying “Hang On” Sync notification 1620.

How do I resolve?

Hi SingingEyeTie, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

Please ensure that the files are FLAC (16 bit/44.1 kHz — stereo files only)  as this is what the system supports. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

The files should be fine. I was using Windows Media Player with my PC as a storage location until just recently. It worked just fine. I just moved a few files over to the MyCloud NAS for testing.

My new issue is as I described in my post. 

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

I am up and running now. I had copied files to the wrong share on my mapped drive instead of the network drive Public/Shared Music folder.

So now I can rip the rest of my collection. I may switch to MediaMonkey or continue with WMP. It seems to rip well enough.

Thanks for the help as I worked my way through all this tech.🤬