Highlighted
bex1210
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

Service for old Bose Wave Radio

I live in the US. I own 4 Bose Radios (not with the CD). All are about 1998-2000 vintage. The two white ones work perfectly. The two black ones are perfect EXCEPT for the display, which is very hard to read. On one (s/n 018821C8195 5223A; DOM 980714) the display has become completely unreadable. All of the numbers and characters on the display simultaneously glow with about the same low intensity. The  radio's method to change brightness just changes the intensity from dim to very dim!

I have tried unpluging the power and then reconnecting. I have tried removing the battery, and replaced it with a new one. Nothing helps.

I filled out the form for Bose Service on their website. They say my unit is out of warranty (which I already knew), but they will sell me one with the CD player at a discounted price. I do not want a CD player.

Is there any firm that will repair the display on these radios?

Harry

9 REPLIES 9
bex1210
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

Re: Service for old Bose Wave Radio

I can't believe with all of the Bose radio enthusiasts on this forum, that no one has answered my question. Smiley Sad

Harry

schiantsu
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

I am also shocked that there is no service of old Bose radios. I have two, and one has problem with multiple CDs player (making noise when changing CD) and  in the other one, one of the two light bulbs in the display is dead , so that only one half of the display is lit. If the second light goes out, I will not know if the radio is on or off. Simple issue, but needs repair.

paulbracc
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

bose has a $99 repair price , covering shipping (both ways?) and complete service--and warranty.

schiantsu
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

thanks Paulbracc for the info, and Happy New Year!

bex1210
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

How old is your Bose radio? If it is out of warranty, they won't repair it. They will sell you a new one at a 'discounted' price.

I asked about this, and that is what Bose told me. Mine are just the radios and I did not want one with a CD. If you like the CD, then they will sell you one. But it is much more expensive than the $99 repair.

arry

Bobsat
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2017

Bose did the $99 repair on one of my Wave radios just a little over 2 years ago (12/17); the radio was at least 4 years out of warranty (the CD player mechanism had stopped working). I contacted Bose regarding the repair by calling: 1-800 379-2073. The same day, Bose Support charged my credit card $99 and emailed a receipt, shipping instructions, and a UPS mailing label. Around 10 days after I shipped the radio, I received an email from Bose indicating the radio had been repaired, tested, and shipped; the email included a tracking number. About 2 days after that, the radio was delivered to my house - looking and working like new! The entire experience, from placing the call to Bose Support to receiving the repaired radio, took about 2 weeks.  

bex1210
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

Bobsat:

Interesting. Perhaps they did yours because it needed the CD drive repaired. Mine was probably 10-15 years out of warranty, and I told them the problem was the display. If they were still making that display they might have offered something.

So I guess the message is: no matter how old your Bose unit, call Bose and see if they will repair it for $99.

Harry

TucsonYaqui
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 7, 2020

Called the 800 # shown just above serial number.  My white Bose radio cannot be repaired because while we purchased it 'new', the parts to repair no longer exist.  The kind woman answering my call was very sympathetic and offered me a new radio "state of the art" which is on the market now for a $200 discount from retail, $550.  We understand payment, plus tax, would pay for shipping our old radio and receiving the new one.  We are thinking it over.  

This required two calls because the first woman was collecting my information and was suddenly cut off.

She had asked initially if I could see a 'reset button' just below the serial number which might facilitate an easy repair.  However, no such button exists on ours, so it must have been one of the earliest models.

schiantsu
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

thanks for the answer to my query, Tuscon Yaqi - every little bit helps