wnayes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

SoundTouch Wave software seems bricked

I took this update:

https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/st3_2019_7abcac73/stu/s/Update.stu

On my device which I believe is a Wave SoundTouch III (reported as "Bose SoundTouch A51D0B" from the device).

The device no longer opens the typical ports (17000) and the Bose app cannot find it. I can get to the page that allows configuring wifi, but clicking the "Update" button does not successfully navigate. It seems like the device's software was broken by this update. Is there anything I can do?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch Wave software seems bricked

Hey wnayes,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to hear that you have had this experience. 

Let's start by performing a reset on the speaker by disconnecting the power cord for 30 seconds. If there is a disc in the system, it will automatically eject, then re-insert if not removed within 10 seconds.

I would also recommend performing this step on the internet router to ensure that this is not the route of the issue. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
wnayes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

I have tried a lengthy power disconnection on the speaker and router.

The device does appear on my router status page, but when I scan open ports, it does not have port 17000 open like it used to. The "Upgrade" HTML page is also not able to be served, which I think was over port 17008.

I tried to follow some instructions to do factory resets, but I don't think any of these are able to revert to a prior firmware version.

Highlighted

Hi Wnayes, 

Thank you for this information!

I'm sorry to hear that the reset has not resolved your issue. 

Have you tried a manual update? I have included the LINK HERE to assist you with this. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
wnayes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

Thank you for the link. I tried both forms of the manual update now with no success.

• When I connect via USB to a computer, the device does not serve the `update.html` file (same as when trying to access it over my LAN).
  • When I copied Update.stu to a flash drive and did the reboot, I saw "PLEASE WAIT" but no further messages or updating occurred.
Highlighted

Hi wnayes,

Thank you for the update.

Just to double-check, the page @Jessie_O linked to does have 2 update files available on it. Did you use the one for the Wave SoundTouch Music System or the Wave SoundTouch Music System IV? If you were using the wrong one for your speaker, this would explain why the update was not going through.

The best way to check which update file you need would be with your serial number and our Product Identifier. That will let you know which version of the wave you have and which update file you need.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
wnayes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

The device says "Wave Soundtouch III" on the base, and I had used the first update link for "Wave SoundTouch Music System" when I initially did the update. At this point the software end of things is unresponsive and I can't reach the page that would allow performing another update.

Highlighted

Hi wnayes,

Thank you for the clarification on that.

What I would recommend you do next is a factory default of the SoundTouch pedestal. To do this you would need to:

• On the back of the Wave system, check that the Bose link connection is secure.
  • If connected, disconnect the ethernet cable from the pedestal.
  • On the rear of the system, disconnect the power cord.
  • On the back of the pedestal this time, press and hold the control button and, while holding it, reconnect the power cord to the Wave system. (The control button is next to the Wi-Fi indicator light)
  • When the light on the pedestal begins blinking white (about five seconds), release the control button.
  • Wait until the light on the adapter is solid amber. (Note: While resetting, the light will change colors and blink patterns for up to 4 minutes.)
  • If previously connected, reconnect the Ethernet cable.

After doing this, you will need to reconnect the speaker to your SoundTouch account. 

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
wnayes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

I performed this factory default process, but it didn't seem to resolve the problem. My understanding from when I've done this prior is that it is only resetting some settings. I think I would need some way to get the firmware totally restored.

Highlighted

Hello Wnayes, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your system. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

I am sorry that we cannot help more via this platform. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W