Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Soundwave System IV CD Not Playable

Hi. We have a System IV, purchased new in December 2017. It has worked flawlessly up to now but last week it stopped playing CDs and displays the message CD Not Playable.

It does this with all CDs, both new and old.

The CDs themselves play just fine on other devices.

It is connected to a turntable via Bluetooth. The turntable and Soundwave share an outlet. It has been set up like this since new, with no issues.

It is also wirelessly connected to a Soundtouch 30, which is located one floor up. This has also been in place for well over a year now with no issues.

I have tried disconnecting the power cord (overnight) and reconnecting it. It played the first track partway through then stopped and displayed the same message.

All the Bose stores are closed at the moment (and rightly so) due to the Corona virus, so bringing it in for repair is not an option. Frustrating to have such an expensive and up-to-now well performing device not able to perform one of its basic functions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Soundwave System IV CD Not Playable

Hi Michael,

Thanks for joining the Bose Community. 🙂

I can certainly understand how disappointing it may be to lose this feature on your SoundTouch Wave Music System IV. Are the CDs that are no longer playable, the same previous CDs that used to play without a problem? 

Additionally, have you changed anything such as adding in any devices in your home that may be near to the system? Electronics can pick up interference from other electronics connected to the same power circuit or connected within close proximity. Try disconnecting the power cord from any such nearby electronics (i.e. laptop/phone charger, TV, cable box, seasonal lights, microwave, etc.).

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Hi Charlotte, thank you for the reply.

Yes, the six or so CDs I tried had all been played successfully on the Soundwave before. They play just fine on other devices.

There are no new devices or appliances anywhere in the house. As mentioned in my original post, there is a turntable sharing an outlet with the Soundwave, which has been there for almost as long as the Soundwave, without incident. I did unplug it and try again, in the name of thoroughness, but no luck.

I have now tried the disconnect power/wait/reconnect power solution 4 times, all without success. On the third attempt it played the first track (after a very long "Reading CD" period") but quit partway through.

I'm reluctant to keep trying lest a CD become permanently stuck inside and the whole thing is rendered unusable.

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back to us @MichaelW

Based on the information you have provided, I would recommend that you use a CD lens cleaner. This will clean all the internal mechanisms on the system and will help with its ability to play your CD's.

Let me know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Thank you Jessie. I'll give it a try but it will be a while before I get around to it. I'll let you know.