Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Switch from Plex to iTunes library

Wave Soundtouch IV

MyCloudEx2Ultra NAS has my Flac music files.

Currently using Plex library. Doesn’t work well with Bose.

The NAS has iTunes embedded.

If I convert to mp4 files from Flac and use iTunes,

1) Will AirPlay stream to the Wave Soundtouch IV without having to have the iTunes library open on my PC? 

2) Will I see iTunes playlists in AirPlay?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Switch from Plex to iTunes library

Author Accepted Answer selected by SingingEyeTie

Hi SingingEyeTie,

Just to clarify with you, when you say you managed to get the NAS working with Airplay, where you streaming directly from iTunes on the NAS drive, or were you using the Music Library feature on the SoundTouch app?

If you are using the controls in the SoundTouch app and the presets that way, then this is behaving how I would expect your NAS drive to from how you have described it. 

The SoundTouch app is capable of reading files from the folder it is pointed at, it isn't able to play from the next folder once this has finished. Due to how most NAS drives are organised this does usually mean that it will play 1 album/playlist/folder at a time and to move to the next you would have to start it manually.

If you use iTunes to control the music and streaming directly from the NAS that way, then any limitations will be in how the NAS and iTunes are interacting, as playback from Airplay via iTunes will not be affected in this way by the speaker.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hi SingingEyeTie, 

Thank you for reaching out!

So I have a better understanding of your question. Can you tell me if you are using Airplay inside your NAS drive? 

Is your NAS connecting to the SoundTouch Application? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Yes my NAS is a WD MyCloudEx2Ultra and I can add it as a service in my Bose Soundtouch IV. 

I don’t know if the NAS is AirPlay compatible. 

But to summarize, Plex is not compatible with Bose. I am just trying to find some way to play my music directly from the NAS without running Windows Media Player on another PC in the network. 

So, what music library software will work with Bose? I have been trying to resolve this issue for over 6 weeks now. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

I have tested AirPlay with my Wave Soundtouch and I have confirmed that I can play music directly from the MyCloudEx2Ultra NAS to the Bose Wave Soundtouch IV.

However, I can only play 1 album at a time. Furthermore, Presets and Favourites will only store 1 album. So the question remains:

Is there any music library “software” that the Bose unit will talk to? Do you understand the issue?????

Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by SingingEyeTie

Hi SingingEyeTie,

Just to clarify with you, when you say you managed to get the NAS working with Airplay, where you streaming directly from iTunes on the NAS drive, or were you using the Music Library feature on the SoundTouch app?

If you are using the controls in the SoundTouch app and the presets that way, then this is behaving how I would expect your NAS drive to from how you have described it. 

The SoundTouch app is capable of reading files from the folder it is pointed at, it isn't able to play from the next folder once this has finished. Due to how most NAS drives are organised this does usually mean that it will play 1 album/playlist/folder at a time and to move to the next you would have to start it manually.

If you use iTunes to control the music and streaming directly from the NAS that way, then any limitations will be in how the NAS and iTunes are interacting, as playback from Airplay via iTunes will not be affected in this way by the speaker.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post