claybin
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

Wave III Wireless

Previous boards have stated that the Wave III will support wireless speakers using the aux port on the Wave III and a Soundtouch Wireless Link.  How is this done.  Isn't the Wave III aux port for input and not output.  What are the connections. Wave III aux port cabled to Soundtouch aux in port or audio out port. Then what.  Soundtouch Wireless Link user manual instructions do not cover cabled input connections from external devices unless they are equipped with audio output ports. Will the Wave III unit be muted similar to plugging in a headphone set.  I just want to listen to the Wave III output using a wireless speaker located in a remote location.

Country

Firmware Version

(1.0.7, 4.8.1, 1.7.0, etc.)

App Version

(4.1.1, 13.0.2, etc.)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

(Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in?

(noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Wave III Wireless

Author Accepted Answer selected by claybin

So there are two ways to connect the Wireless LInk to the Wave III, but it depends whether you are trying to play the wave source on other speakers, or play the other speakers on the Wave.

So if you want to play the CD or radio on other speakers, the Wireless link plugs from the Headphone out on the Wave into the input on the Wireless LInk.  You then use the Wave to select what is playing, and the SoundTouch app to link other SoundTouch speakers into the group.  The limitation of this is that since you are outputting through the headphones, the Wave itself will be muted.

If you want to play streaming sources (BT/Spotify/etc) over the Wave and other Speakers, then you plug the output of the Wireless Link into the Waves AUX port.  You then control the source through the app, and the only thing you need to control on the Wave is the volume (and selecting the aux source).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by claybin

So there are two ways to connect the Wireless LInk to the Wave III, but it depends whether you are trying to play the wave source on other speakers, or play the other speakers on the Wave.

So if you want to play the CD or radio on other speakers, the Wireless link plugs from the Headphone out on the Wave into the input on the Wireless LInk.  You then use the Wave to select what is playing, and the SoundTouch app to link other SoundTouch speakers into the group.  The limitation of this is that since you are outputting through the headphones, the Wave itself will be muted.

If you want to play streaming sources (BT/Spotify/etc) over the Wave and other Speakers, then you plug the output of the Wireless Link into the Waves AUX port.  You then control the source through the app, and the only thing you need to control on the Wave is the volume (and selecting the aux source).

View solution in original post

claybin
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

How do I sync a Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Speaker (circa 2014-2015 model Model 415859,) to the Sound Touch Wireless Link? When I try to add this speaker through the SoundTouch app on my computer the app searches the computer and can't find the speaker although it does show the SoundTouch Link itself.  Do I have to sync the speaker separately to my WiFi or do I have to somehow sync the speaker to the Sound Touch Wireless Link?  If this were a wireless printer set up at this point I would hit the WiFi sync button to pair the two, speaker and computer. This model Bose speaker only has a circular aux port and a mini-plug USB power port, so you cannot power up the speaker and do a normal WiFi sync at the same time as the computer instructions for this speaker direct because the power port uses the USB port. All I want to do is turn on the Wave III and hear it's sound from a remote speaker.  It doesn't matter that the Wave III speaker is shut off due to using the HeadPhone plug. Bottom line I cannot get the SoundTouch Link to recognize the SoundLink Speaker.

- Edited by a moderator

Vicky_W

Hello Claybin, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry but you are unable to pair the SoundLink Color and SoundTouch Wireless Link together. This will be why this is not working. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused. You can, however, use the SoundTouch app to group another Soundtouch speaker with your SoundTouch link adapter.

Let me know if you need any help with this. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
claybin
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

So what you are saying is that the Bose wireless speaker I currently have is not connectible to the SoundTouch Wireless Link and I have to buy some other Bose speaker to make it work?  So only certain speakers are compatible with the SoundTouch Wireless Link? If this is so why doesn't the Bose promotional literature for the SoundTouch Wireless Link state this anywhere? Why aren't the SoundTouch Wireless Link limitations listed anywhere? Evidently Bose doesn't care to support its own previous products.

Vicky_W

@claybin, I can understand your frustrations. Just to clarify, on the website it says: 

You love your current speakers. But there's a world of wireless music they just can't access. Until now. Transform your stereo or home cinema system by adding the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter and stream music from your home Wi-Fi® or Bluetooth® devices. Use the SoundTouch app to control your music easily. You can even play music all throughout your home by expanding with other SoundTouch speakers. Make your speakers smarter: turn them wireless and stream the music you want. It's that simple.

As mentioned in that text, and in my last post, you sure can expand your system "You can even play music all throughout your home by expanding with other SoundTouch speakers"  All speakers with the words SoundTouch in the title, and that use the SoundTouch app can be grouped with your link adapter. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
claybin
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

Vicky:

Thank you for the clarification. My Bose speaker is a SoundLink speaker. But I think Bose should clearly state somewhere that SoundLink equipment is not compatible with SoundTouch equipment. I just wish the responder to my original questions had stated that. It would have saved me a lot of unnecessary time trying to figure out why the speaker wouldn't connect. If I understood the compatibility issue beforehand I wouldn't have purchased the SoundTouch Wireless Link. I guess Bose doesn't understand or doesn't care about backward compatibility for its legacy products.