Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Wave Music System III Pedestal (Wifi) Firmware Issues?

ALmost 2 years ago @eliransapir posted about issues with pedestal firmware which included:

1. When system is discovered in soundtouch app it is discovered as SA-4
  2. Volume control does not work
  3. Switching from Spotify or any other soundtouch music source to airplay freezes system
  4. Switching from Airplay to any soundtouch music source freezes system
  5. Switching from Soundtouch to any other local source CD/Radio requires a reboot to get system to respond to soundtouch commands 
  6. Song names do not show up on screen - system will only show Boselink on screen when playing via spotify/pandora or airplay.
  7. When clicking the Soundtouch/AUX button on remote the system will show "Soundtouch" on screen but no soundtouch commands can be sent to the system nor can any song be played in this mode. In order to use soundtouch system needs to be off /standby at which point it will turn on and switch to Boselink mode. 

I recently purchased a used pedestal model 412534 and experienced the exact same issues.  Over the phone I worked with Bose Tech Rep Victor in the UK and determined that the unit would not factory reset nor would it completely install the latest firmware update. We decided to return it for servicing at Bose at my expense and I have just sent it off.

After reading in the archives about so many similar issues with no solution that I can find I am a little leery about what I am going to get after factory servicing.

So my question is has the root cause of these issues ever be found and is there an actual fix? Anybody? 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Re: Wave Music System III Pedestal (Wifi) Firmware Issues?

How does one get a moderator or a tech to respom

nd to this type of query.   I just got my Bose WMS-III pedestal back from factory repair and there are still areas of non-functionality. Sound touch option  will  not play, no tune info displayed (only BOSELINK) , Spotify playback remains problematic.  **bleep**?

Highlighted

Hey @wec,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'd love to provide some further assistance for your SoundTouch pedestal. Since you've received it back what are you not able to do? Did it connect fine to the WiFi again?

What issue are you running into with Spotify? Have you tried removing your account for the service in the SoundTouch app, and then re-linking?

Finally, have you tried resetting your Wave Music system? Disconnect it from power for two minutes and then try audio playback after.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Hiya 

Thank you for reaching out and taking an interest in my issue.  I was out of connectivity for a couple days hence my slow response.

So since I got the pedestal back from factory repair it does work better than it did when I sent it in.  It did update to the latest firmware (whereas before the repair it would stall at 80% installed). It connects to my wifi no problem.  I can play TuneIn and SiriusXM from the app.  Spotify is hit and miss....sometimes will play...sometimes it seems to play but there is no audio.

• In all cases those the volume control (whether through the SoundTouch app or Spotify) will not change the volume on the speaker; it reverts always to the volume level set by the Speaker's remote control.
  • No music or station information is displayed...only "BOSELINK". 
  • If I use the remote to select Wifi/AUX on the first press "SOUNDTOUCH" appears on the display.  From there I can use either the app or the remote to select a preset.  Only the preset number is then displayed (remainder blank) and no audio is produced.  When I select SOUNDTOUCH, as just described, the app indicates that the speaker is playing from a different source. 

So those bullet point are my main concern and disappointment after paying for a factory repair.  I gather from the forums that these issues may in fact be a firmware issue?  Or am I still having hardware issues?  I don't know.  Can you help, please!    

Highlighted

Thanks for updating us on this Wec. 

These are some very strange issues you are experiencing with your system. 

Let's start with the Spotify and volume issue you are having, can you please let us know which device you are using with the Wave? I would also like to know if you have tested a few different devices to see if the same issue occurs? 

Please also make sure that your device is running the latest version of the SoundTouch application for the latest bug fixes and features. Let's also try using a different SoundTouch account with the speaker to see if we encounter the same issues with the lack of station information. 

Can you please also let us know which stations/services you have set as presets for the system? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with further information on this. 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Thanks for getting back to me Hector_B

I am using an iPhone 11 (SoundTouch app from the Apple App Store) and a MS Surface Pro 4 with the  latest app from the Bose website. The volume issue is not confined to Spotify...neither the SoundTouch app nor Spotify are able to control the volume.  Only the remote can change the volume. Last night I tried playing Spotify through Airplay and shortly after the signal began to break up.

I will try creating a new account later today and see if that makes a difference.  Will get back to you on that.

Currently the presets I have are radio stations from TuneIn. They play fine through the app from initial startup and but with only "BOSELINK" on the display.  If I use the remote to play through SOUNDTOUCH I can select a preset but it does not play (no audio). It is kind of confusing to have the app tell me the speaker is playing a different source when I choose SOUNDTOUCH with the remote.  What is the actual source for SOUNDTOUCH if not through the app or presets stored through the app?

I bought this pedestal used. It was part of a complete set.  Could there be an incompatibility between  pedestal and my Bose WMS-III system itself?  Does the manufacturing time frame of each make a difference? 

Is there a firmware upgrade for the WMS-III itself that might remedy this situation? 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Further Update:

I created a new user account.  Symptoms remained the same.  I am no further ahead.  

I reset the Wave Music System III itself.  No change.

Have done the reset on the pedestal as well.  No change.

Unplugged the combined system for 2 minutes + then powered back up.  No change. 

I believe the recent factory repair was not comprehensive and many areas of functionality were not corrected  and/or tested.

Suggestions on next steps?

Highlighted

Hey wec,

Thanks for the update! 

From how you are describing this it does sound like there may be a compatibility issue with the radio and the pedestal causing this. There is a difference in design and setup between the Wave Music System III and the Wave SoundTouch Music system the pedestal was designed for. This could likely be causing the problems you are seeing. As far as I am aware there is no update to the WMS III that affects the compatibility with the pedestal to install.

What I would recommend doing is reaching back out to your local support team to look into this, if you give them the serial number for your radio and pedestal they will be able to check this.

If it is compatible, I would recommend booking both the pedestal and main radio in for a repair together, so the service center can test them as a whole. As the pedestal has been repaired already, they would have tested it with the SoundTouch system rather than a WMS III, like yours, so I'm sure they will be able to help.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

I wanted to feedback one more time on this issue because too often these threads are left unraveled with no firm solution.

I did contact local support and got a couple of cryptic answers initially...referring me mostly to the Wave IV system. Finally with helpful from Marcus I was able to confirm what @Keith_L indicated in his response to this thread.  My understanding now is that there were two systems produced: "Wave® music system III" (2012-2015) and Wave® SoundTouch music system (2013-2015) which was marketed with a paired WiFi pedestal.  I believe these two system are often confused; the SoundTouch is frequently referred to as a series III.  But they are not the same.  The WMS-III does not have all the functionality of the SoundTouch.  Therefore when you pair a MWS-III with a pedestal from a Wave Soundtouch you are going to get all the issues I have raised earlier in this thread. 

I have found that the bottom label on the Wave Soundtouch does read "Wave music system III" which adds to the confusion.  The best way to know which system you actually have is look at your remote....or enter your serial number in the Bose product finder: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/support_product_finder.html

However, I have confirmed with local support that the Wave IV is backwards compatible with the older Wave SoundTouch pedestal (model 412534).  I also confirmed that there does not seem to be any way to convert a WMS-III into a fully functional SoundTouch; so apparently it is not a firmware issue.

Keep in mind this older pedestal has only WiFi capability; not BlueTooth. (The newer Wave IV systems are marketed with a WiFi & BT capable pedestal model 412634) 

So if you're shopping around for a pedestal  keep these things in mind and don't be fooled by vendors marketing the 412534 pedestal as an add-on to the WMS-III because you will be disappointed as I was. Mine's for sale on EBay.  

If anyone has a different take on this issue I'd like to hear about it.