SilverFox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Wave SoundTouch IV - officially supported NAS drives

Hi,

Just set up a new Wave Soundtouch IV but having problems getting the soundtouch app to link to my iTunes music library.  I'm running OS10.14.3 on a MacBook Pro.  ITunes version is 12.9.2.5.  I've checked all the bixes in Itunes preferences that are described in various help sources but still no luck.  Bluetooth works fine and I can access internet-based radio, etc.  Just not my own music collection!  Can you help?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - officially supported NAS drives

Author Accepted Answer selected by SilverFox

Hi SilverFox,

I'm happy to hear that you now have access to your music library again and this resolved the issue.

As m4p files are typically provided from iTunes and include DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection we encourage you to reach out direct to Apple for the most accurate information on solutions to this.

Kind regards,

Andy B - Community Support

8 REPLIES 8

Hi SilverFox! Thank you for your post - and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am sorry to hear of the troubles you are having with your music library not playing through the SoundTouch App. Just to confirm, we recommend making sure the preferences below are checked. These are:

1. Open iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Advanced. Be sure "Share iTunes XML with other applications" is checked
  2. Open iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Sharing. Be sure "Share my library on my local network" is checked. Then, check either "Share entire library" or "Share selected playlists" to share selections

If these are selected, the issue you are having could possibly stem from the file type of the music you have locally saved. The SoundTouch app will not be able to recognise music with file types of either "Protected AAC" or "WAV". It may be worth checking your music file properties to confirm their file type. We recommend converting the music file type to mp3 for the SoundTouch app to list your music from iTunes.

Warm Regards,

Sam F - Community Support

SilverFox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Hi Sam,

The iTunes preferences are all checked already, including sharing entire library.  The file types are either .m4a or .m4p.  Do I need to convert these (if so how?) or can SondTouch be updated to accept these file types?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Hi SilverFox,

The known supported file types are the following:

• MP3
  • AAC
  • M4A
  • WMA
  • OGG
  • FLAC

With the M4A files, could you check the properties and tell me what bit rate they are?

The common sizes are:

• 128kbps
  • 160kbps
  • 192kbps

Sometimes higher bit rates might not be found. Let us know if you manage to find it, or if you need helping finding it.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

SilverFox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

I haven't checked them all but every m4a I've looked at is 256kbps.  Do I have to convert these? and the m4p files?

Can/should SoundTouch app be tweaked to accept these?  

Brian

Have you tried removing the library and re-adding it again? If not can we try to do this.

If this doesn't work can we try and convert one of each file just to test. Don't overwrite the original files however. I would like to see if we can convert the M4A to a lower bitrate, and the M4P to M4A at a lower bitrate. If you can manage to do this. Sync the Soundtouch Music Server, and then check if those two songs have appeared on the library.

If you are unable to find a way to convert the files. I would suggest trying to find an MP3 or an M4A test file that you can put in your library to see if it is located.

Let me know how this goes or if you have any problems.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

SilverFox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Hi Brandon,

Removing then adding the library did the trick.  I can now see all the m4a files - even at 256 kbps.  I also tried adding a single m4a file from another source to my iTunes library and that showed up too.  Many if not most of my music files are m4p.  Can you recommend a good way to convert those to a readable format?  

Many thanks.

Brian

Highlighted
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by SilverFox

Hi SilverFox,

I'm happy to hear that you now have access to your music library again and this resolved the issue.

As m4p files are typically provided from iTunes and include DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection we encourage you to reach out direct to Apple for the most accurate information on solutions to this.

Kind regards,

Andy B - Community Support

SilverFox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

OK.  Thanks very much for your help.