bluebug
Participant
Registered since

Mar 2, 2018

SoundWear Companion speaker

Hello. I'm always wondering how safe is to use this speaker, any info on EMR level or how safe it is? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: SoundWear Companion speaker

Hi bluebug

That's a great question, We can confirm our product complies with applicable regulations.

Regards

Tony

Jamon
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I just did a quick test for you. Directly against the SoundWear on the left near the Bluetooth button I measured a maximum of 76 mW/m². I don't know how to measure it accurately because the field strength displays different numbers on my meter depending on the angle and distance. While holding it on one spot where it'd be against the clavicle, I see constant average numbers around 30 mW/m². Setting it on a surface, and placing the meter in the middle, I see a constant around 30-35 mW/m². It radiates the same amount while not playing audio as when playing.

It's basically similar to a tablet that's using WiFi/Bluetooth, except those are usually further away from you. I put the SoundWear on, and played some audio, then measured around my skull near the brain while standing, and saw around 5 mW/m².

These numbers might give you a vague sense of how much power the RF field has, and as you can see, it's strongest at the collar, and decreases as it reaches the top of the head. It's strongest at the front, because the transmitter is located at the end where the buttons are. At the back of the SoundWear, which radiates more toward the back of the skull, it's a weaker field, maybe closer to 1 mW/m². It's similar to that near the eyes. It's a little stronger near the heart, maybe around 2 mW/m².

The problem is that these numbers can't really tell you much about potential health effects. The general consensus has been that you can ignore all of that, because none of it will have any effect on you biologically. However, there is some recent research suggesting otherwise.

One study showed a small increase in tumors in the hearts and brains of rats that were exposed to cell phone radio frequency radiation. They were exposed for a total of 9 hours daily over 2 years. There's also neurological damage in rats born to mothers exposed during pregnancy.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/about/org/sep/trpanel/meetings/docs/2018/march/

The American Cancer Society said it marked "a paradigm shift in our understanding of radiation and cancer risk". It seems that cell phones might actually be a carcinogen.

There's also a study that tracked women's exposure to magnetic field radiation, and found an association between higher levels and risk of miscarriage.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16623-8

I can measure the SoundWear magnetic radiation real quick. I saw a max of 46 nT, which is 0.46 mG.

It seems as though people are now thinking that there is in fact a biological effect from these devices, as there's increasing evidence for certain tumors, and it seems to have an effect on fertility and gestation. But the research is still too early, where there's not enough information available to know much about how it works, or what is safe, and what is not.

One thing to consider is that Bluetooth is always emitting radio frequency radiation. I turned off all the radios near me, and watched the meter, and it was a steady low from distant WiFi. Then I enabled WiFi on my iPhone, and the reading went up, but it's variable, where it goes up and down, and there's spikes as it bursts with activity. But then I turned off WiFi and enabled Bluetooth, and there's no variation, it's just a steady stream of activity that's higher than WiFi overall. That's with nothing connected, and the blue icon for Bluetooth simply being lit up on the iPhone.

Even when the screen is off, Bluetooth is active. I pressed the power button, and it looks like the phone is sleeping, but it's not. It only has Bluetooth enabled, and it's constant activity. With WiFi instead of Bluetooth, it calms down and isn't emitting as much. But Bluetooth has constant radiation.

So the SoundWear radiates a strong RF signal similar to that of a tablet, and it's constant, from the moment the power button is pressed, until you turn it off. If you wore it for many years, several hours per day, perhaps it could have a noticeable effect on your body, or not, nobody knows, yet.

Perhaps these technologies can be designed better in the future so they radiate less. I don't know why Bluetooth needs to be so aggressive to constantly be transmitting radio signals, even when it's not in use.

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi Jamon,

Thanks for all of your research and taking the time to share your findings.  That's very interesting, you raise intriguing points.  I'll be curious to see where more research on this topic will lead us.

Thanks for being a part of the community.

Take care,

Shiloh