Lori
Contributor
Registered since

May 30, 2017

Auditory Processing

I have to share the experience of my daughter wearing the hearphones  over this past weekend.  She is 16, and has auditory processing disorder.  

To those of you who don't know what that's is, the best way to describe it is that the hearing is fine, but the brain doesn't process correctly, so similar sounding words can sound the same.  It also can cause difficulty understanding speech in noisy environments. It can also cause difficulty in hearing the pitch of speech.

in her case, she has extreme difficulty is hearing in environments like restaurants, classrooms, etc.  She also has difficulty with other aspects of auditory processing, but since the hearphones don't help with that, I'll just discuss the hearing in noise aspect.

She hates going to restaurants, and especially weddings, because the anxiety of not being able to hear what people are saying was too much for her.  Knowing we had a wedding to go to, we stopped in at a Bose store to try them out on Friday.  The look on her face when testing them in the sound room was unbelievable.  She looked amazed.  She told me that she finally felt she could be in a group and actually participate in a conversation.  Prior to that, she could only just stand there and pretend like she could understand what people were saying.

fast forward to this weekend.  For the first time that I can remember, she was actively participating and enjoying the company of those around her in a noisy setting.  She was engaged, happy, and PARTICIPATING!  My heart was so happy!

if you have an issue like she does, I urge you to try these!  They will not fix all parts of auditory processing, but they definitely relieve the strain of trying to hear in a noisy , which then gives the brain more energy to sort out the processing of the words.  I am thrilled that we tried these hearphones, and I  recommend them highly.  They are life changing!

3 REPLIES 3
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: Auditory Processing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for telling us about your daughter's experience. It's a joy to read this and I'll be sharing your story with the Hearphones team.

It's great to have you here in the community.

ST

Lori
Contributor
Registered since

May 30, 2017

Please do.  In the past, she had such anxiety in situations like that that we would have to leave!  This time, she stayed for the entire wedding, and had a wonderful time.  Please feel free to contact us at any time if you would like her direct feedback.  These hearphones can be life changing for people, and allow them to have active social lives.  Thanks to Bose for developing this amazing product!

tmillhiser
Participant
Registered since

May 31, 2017

I have a similar auditory processing problem.  The Hearphone have been a great help in much the same way that your daughter has experienced.  I think the great fidelity of the Hearphone earbuds compared to my very expensive hearing aids is a big part of success of the Hearphone.  

The idea of a notched filter mentioned in other posts would probably allow the user to futher narrow the sounds to those of the person speaking.