Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KerryM
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2017

Bose Hearphones for elderly (non tech) users

Many older folks in their 80s and 90s have difficulty with hearing aids:

- batteries are too small and hard to change for people with limited dexterity, 

- the hearing aids themselves can be difficult to insert and are so small that they are easily lost

- the cost of hearing aids is prohibitive (so once a hearing aid is lost, the person simply loses the ability to hear because they can't afford a replacement)

It continues to amaze (dismay) me that hearing aid companies have not figured out better solutions for one of their primary target markets and that millions of older people are living in isolation as a result.

Hearphones look like a good solution (even though I know that these are not legally 'hearing aids') as they are larger, rechargeable and less costly and less prone to being misplaced. But I have a few questions:

1) Can they be used without a smartphone or tablet (and without an App)?

2) Can the sound be customized to the individual's hearing needs (perhaps after a one-time set-up with an App)?

3) Is the sound amplified well enough to allow a person with severe hearing loss to hear conversation at the dinner table or direct one-on-one conversation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: Bose Hearphones for elderly (non tech) users

Author Accepted Answer selected by KerryM

Hi KerryM,

Thank you for joining us in the Bose Hearphones Community.  I appreciate your thoughtful introduction to your questions. I've added an overview of the terminology I have used in my response at the bottom of this message.

Yes, you can use the five-button controller on the Hearphones without using the Bose Hear app running on a smartphone or tablet.  You have the full benefits and control of World Volume and Directivity with the buttons on the Hearphones. The Bose Hear app adds additional control with a Bass/Treble setting and the ability to save settings as Modes that you can recall later.

I use my Hearphones in all kinds of situations when I'm out and about. Most of the time I use the buttons on the Hearphones without the Bose Hear app.  

2) Can the sound be customized to the individual's hearing needs (perhaps after a one-time set-up with an App)?

There isn't a one-time set-up or customization. You can set the Bass/Treble level, and Ear Balance with the Bose Hear app. These are not accessible on the Hearphones, but once set, the settings persist even when you are not using the app. If you are like me, you will adjust the World Volume and Directivity to suit your needs in the moment. 

3) Is the sound amplified well enough to allow a person with severe hearing loss to hear conversation at the dinner table or direct one-on-one conversation?

Bose does not make any claims about relief of hearing loss. but with the Bose 30-day trial period, we can suggest you try Bose Hearphones personally

Was that helpful?

ST

Hearphones Technology

What is World Volume?

World Volume is the primary controller for Bose Hearphones. Just like the volume setting on the phone controls the loudness of the customer’s music, podcast and phone calls, the World Volume setting controls the loudness of live voices, TV and other environmental sounds. Each customer adjusts the World Volume so that it’s just right for them and for each place they are.

• Above “0,” the Bose Hearphones will amplify the environment in a special way: Quiet sounds are amplified more than loud sounds so that all sounds can be heard but none are uncomfortable. This is helpful when the customer needs to hear conversation in acoustically challenging environments.

• At “0,” the environment will sound as loud as it would if the Bose Hearphones weren’t worn.

• Below “0,” the Bose Hearphones will reduce sounds in the environment. This is useful so that the customer can escape loud environmental sounds and either focus on their smartphone content or just enjoy the quiet.

The World Volume can be adjusted on the device or using the app. All World Volume settings use Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology.

What is Bass & Treble?

A second adjustment on the Bose Hear app is preferable for some people to optimize live listening. Adjusting the smaller controller on the right of the app screen can makes sounds deeper (more bass) or brighter (more treble). This adjustment does not apply to streamed sounds coming from the smartphone.

What is Directivity?

The microphones within the earbuds can be configured to focus on sounds in front, like in a conversation across a table, or all around, like when walking through a park. When focused on the front, sounds in front will be the same loudness, but the noises all around will be quieter so that overall the sound will be quieter. This will make a conversation with someone across a table in a loud environment more intelligible and more comfortable. When not focused in front at all, the loudness of all sounds will be typical. Directivity is controlled on the app.

What is Ear Balance?

The Ear Balance control allows the customer to set the left and right ear differently. Once set differently, the other controls will maintain the difference. Ear balance is controlled on the app.

What are Modes?

Modes provide the customer an easy way to store device settings for common device uses.

What is Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ headphone technology?

Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphone technology is a method of reducing unwanted noise by electronically creating a signal that is the mirror image of the unwanted noise. Unwanted noise might include sounds of fans or public transportation, other talkers in a restaurant and even the sound of the customer’s own voice. Microphones in the earbuds monitor sound in the customer’s ear and externally. The monitored sound is compared to the sound the customer wants to hear (the signal coming from the directional microphones or audio input—this could be speech, music or silence). The difference between the monitored sound and the sound the customer wants to hear is noise. The system electronics instantly process the noise signal, and a precise equal and opposite signal is created. This opposite signal is then sent to the speaker in the earbud along with the sound the customer wants to hear. The results is three signals being presented to the customer’s ear: noise from the environment, the sound the customer wants to hear and the correction signal from the electronics. The noise and correction signals nearly cancel each other, providing a clean, high-fidelity sound signal at the ear.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by KerryM

Hi KerryM,

Thank you for joining us in the Bose Hearphones Community.  I appreciate your thoughtful introduction to your questions. I've added an overview of the terminology I have used in my response at the bottom of this message.

Yes, you can use the five-button controller on the Hearphones without using the Bose Hear app running on a smartphone or tablet.  You have the full benefits and control of World Volume and Directivity with the buttons on the Hearphones. The Bose Hear app adds additional control with a Bass/Treble setting and the ability to save settings as Modes that you can recall later.

I use my Hearphones in all kinds of situations when I'm out and about. Most of the time I use the buttons on the Hearphones without the Bose Hear app.  

There isn't a one-time set-up or customization. You can set the Bass/Treble level, and Ear Balance with the Bose Hear app. These are not accessible on the Hearphones, but once set, the settings persist even when you are not using the app. If you are like me, you will adjust the World Volume and Directivity to suit your needs in the moment. 

Bose does not make any claims about relief of hearing loss. but with the Bose 30-day trial period, we can suggest you try Bose Hearphones personally

Was that helpful?

ST

Hearphones Technology

What is World Volume?

World Volume is the primary controller for Bose Hearphones. Just like the volume setting on the phone controls the loudness of the customer’s music, podcast and phone calls, the World Volume setting controls the loudness of live voices, TV and other environmental sounds. Each customer adjusts the World Volume so that it’s just right for them and for each place they are.

• Above “0,” the Bose Hearphones will amplify the environment in a special way: Quiet sounds are amplified more than loud sounds so that all sounds can be heard but none are uncomfortable. This is helpful when the customer needs to hear conversation in acoustically challenging environments.

• At “0,” the environment will sound as loud as it would if the Bose Hearphones weren’t worn.

• Below “0,” the Bose Hearphones will reduce sounds in the environment. This is useful so that the customer can escape loud environmental sounds and either focus on their smartphone content or just enjoy the quiet.

The World Volume can be adjusted on the device or using the app. All World Volume settings use Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ technology.

What is Bass & Treble?

A second adjustment on the Bose Hear app is preferable for some people to optimize live listening. Adjusting the smaller controller on the right of the app screen can makes sounds deeper (more bass) or brighter (more treble). This adjustment does not apply to streamed sounds coming from the smartphone.

What is Directivity?

The microphones within the earbuds can be configured to focus on sounds in front, like in a conversation across a table, or all around, like when walking through a park. When focused on the front, sounds in front will be the same loudness, but the noises all around will be quieter so that overall the sound will be quieter. This will make a conversation with someone across a table in a loud environment more intelligible and more comfortable. When not focused in front at all, the loudness of all sounds will be typical. Directivity is controlled on the app.

What is Ear Balance?

The Ear Balance control allows the customer to set the left and right ear differently. Once set differently, the other controls will maintain the difference. Ear balance is controlled on the app.

What are Modes?

Modes provide the customer an easy way to store device settings for common device uses.

What is Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ headphone technology?

Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphone technology is a method of reducing unwanted noise by electronically creating a signal that is the mirror image of the unwanted noise. Unwanted noise might include sounds of fans or public transportation, other talkers in a restaurant and even the sound of the customer’s own voice. Microphones in the earbuds monitor sound in the customer’s ear and externally. The monitored sound is compared to the sound the customer wants to hear (the signal coming from the directional microphones or audio input—this could be speech, music or silence). The difference between the monitored sound and the sound the customer wants to hear is noise. The system electronics instantly process the noise signal, and a precise equal and opposite signal is created. This opposite signal is then sent to the speaker in the earbud along with the sound the customer wants to hear. The results is three signals being presented to the customer’s ear: noise from the environment, the sound the customer wants to hear and the correction signal from the electronics. The noise and correction signals nearly cancel each other, providing a clean, high-fidelity sound signal at the ear.

View solution in original post

KerryM
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2017

Thank you very much for this prompt and very helpful reply.