gardo22
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 5, 2018

Bose sleepbuds vs. foam earplugs

I wear foam earplugs for isolation from sound while I sleep.  The foam earplugs are rated at 32dB attenuation . . . what is the NRR (noise reduction rating) of the Bose Sleepbuds, when no masking sound is being used?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

Re: Bose sleepbuds vs. foam earplugs

I don't think they can be directly compared. The sleepbuds block some sound but mainly provide distraction and masking. I find them more effective than foam but you need to try them yourself.

Hello gardo22,

Thank you for the question. There is no NRR on the Sleepbuds since they are Noise-Masking and not noise canceling. 

I would suggest to try them out and see if they are right for you, this would be the best experience.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hello jimh12345,

Thank you for the help on the community, this is always appreciated!

Regards,

Joel 

cornholio
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

I have tried foam ear plugs several times over the years but always had issues with getting a good seal/falling out during the night.  For me, the sleepbuds are much more comfortable, have never fallen out, and assist with tinnitus due to their noise-masking abilities.  

richardm
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

I agree.  Foam ear plugs are made so you can still converse on the job, while protecting your hearign from loud sounds of machinery.... they even may enhance some night noises..... I tried them, becasue even though I have severe hearing loss, I hear the low sound of our heater fan.  I tried several diferent ear plugs, but the sound was worse. Iroincally, my wife, who has excellent hearing, is not bothered by this noise.  I hear it pulsing, but she insists it is steady and does not wake her.  With the sleep buds, the masking covers the fan noise.   I have only had the sleepbuds for a couple of weeks, but I am able to sleep all night.

jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

I used foam plugs for years, every single night, trying to block snoring and 'travel' noises like clanking air-conditioners.   A couple of months ago I switched to Sleepbuds and I find them superior in every way.  As another poster pointed out, foam plugs are really intended to prevent damage, not mask sounds, and by blocking some sounds and not others they can actually make things worse.  The Sleepbuds work more by 'distraction', and I find it works.  They're also more comfortable than foam. 

mowsley
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Foam earplugs are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to nighttime noise filtration, there are various other designs and materials better suited for sleep assist. Like someone already mentioned they tend to amplify bassy noises so anything like snoring or any other thud like sounds will be picked up even worse.

In any which case, there's certainly a premium when it comes to the comfort and noise-masking functions of the Sleepbuds. When I sent my previous repair in for replacement I went back to my old rubber earplugs and it sounded like I stuck my head underwater in a plastic bathtub, there was a cheapy feel to it. So in a sense I think the investment is worth it if you're looking to block out sounds every night... if only they could fix the delay I'm experiencing and I wouldn't be limited to the two or so tolerable sounds then they'd be perfect, but that's an entirely different discussion altogether. Either way I wouldn't want to go back to normal plugs if given the choice.
richardm
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

I totally agree !!   I've only had them a  few weeks.  Haven't slept better in years.  I keep having to ask my wife if the heater came on , and she confirms, but I wasn't aware of it.  I have severe hearing loss, but the low rumble wakes me.... none of the 'white noise" works, as it doesn't increase when a new sound is detected.  I have to use the stream or rain, as there is variation.  I don't hear the loop.  I've downloaded some of the new sounds, but so far not as good as those two...

Hey Bose tech.....  How about spell check herer????  

Can I have one of the sounds "personally tweaked"?   I sampled "window seat" using phone and hearing aids... I like trains and the "click clack" sounded great.  But with my hearing loss, the buds don't do the same.

On another forum, someone suggested volume controlls for each side... that would help me.

My main need --- an upgrade that would allow volume control from the phone's buttons, not the slider.