Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Brand new Sleepbuds charging case and buds state of charge: observation of behavior (not a solution)

Hi,

like a lot of people here I've had problems with my Sleepbuds disconnecting from my mobile phone not long after putting them in my ears and immediately starting playback. I got them in July of 2018 and they started acting up sometime in November if I recall correctly, but I didn't make much of deal out of it thinking that maybe I was doing something wrong or that perhaps an app or hardware update would eventually solve the problem.

Well, all the updates, both hardware and software, did nothing to solve the problem, which seemed to be getting worse through December and January. I performed the charging case firmware update to v2.0 but that changed nothing. I looked in these forums to try and find a solution, and found and tried Bose's prescribed debugging procedure. To no avail... So I called Bose and, after a few questions and answers, they decided to send me a new set of Sleepbuds. I received them this past Friday, February 15th 2019. Great customer service imho.

The first thing I did was charge the case with the buds in it. Then on the morrow, Saturday, I updated the charging case firmware to v2.0 (the Bose representative had told me that since the unit was being shipped from a warehouse, it was quite possible that the firmware would not already be updated). Once that was done, I reset the case as prescribed by Bose, all the while leaving it plugged in. I left it like that until Sunday.

So today, Sunday, the case is now showing 5 dot LEDs lit, indicating that the case is fully charged. The LED immediately adjacent to each bud is also lit, indicating its corresponding bud is fully charged. But in the app, the left bud is showing 100% charged whilst the right one is only showing 90%.

Now here is where it gets interesting...

I tried this before with my original buds and charging case, and this new set has the same behavior. While the case remains plugged in, case and buds still indicating fully charged, I press the reset button again. A funny thing happens. Once the case has reset, the buds begin to charge: both bud LEDs start blinking! I think to myself, hmmm.... So, once the bud LEDs stop blinking (about 5 minutes later), which should indicate that the buds are now fully charged, I reset the case again. Lo and behold, the buds begin charging again, and for approximately another five minutes! I did this a couple more times with the same end result each and every time. And in the end, there seems to be no change in the state of charge of the buds in the app: left is still showing 100% and right is still 90%!

This behavior has left me wondering if this new set may have the same problem as my original set? And just what is the problem: why do the buds begin to charge anew every time the charging case is reset - shouldn't the buds indicate full charge, just as they did immediately prior to the reset? Is the case not able to interpret the true state of charge of the bud batteries? Or are the bud batteries faulty: maybe they cannot be fully charged or, maybe they deplete at an accelerated rate that the charging case cannot detect, until a reset is performed? Some kind of current leak perhaps? And can the problem be solved by hardware/software updates, or must the internal components - buds, case or both - be replaced?

Has Bose diagnosed other sets that have been sent back to them? If so, what conclusions have their technical support drawn and what are the potential solutions?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Re: Brand new Sleepbuds charging case and buds state of charge: observation of behavior (not a solut

The behavior and work-around you describe has worked for me for several weeks, and I suspect would be the same for others.  The only difference is one of my buds never reads about 48%.  

1. charge as usual, wait for the flashing lights to stop and indicate full charge.

2. reset the case with buds inside.  They should start charging again.

3. typically, for me, both buds will start charging again, but the bud (left) that showed 48% will continue charging for quite sometime.

This is a common issue and has been reported numerous time.  I'm certain Bose is working on it, because it is a critical issue that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Brand new Sleepbuds charging case and buds state of charge: observation of behavior (not a so...

Hello Vanguard,

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

We do stand behind our products, and we use feedback and data from our customers to drive improvements.

We sincerely apologize that you have experienced this with multiple pairs of Sleepbuds. The best thing to do in this instance to is contact support over the phone who can assist with a further resolution.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Re: Brand new Sleepbuds charging case and buds state of charge: observation of behavior (not a solut

Hi Dandrewk,

My original buds, both left and right, always indicated a 100% charge in the app. This was true even when I hit the reset button (buds were fully charged according to charging case and 100 % in the app) and the buds began to charge. I mean, I'd pull them out after about ten seconds and immediately look in the app to see if the charge state might have dipped since the circuitry had detected a need for charging. But no, the app always showed 100% for both. Go figure!

I totally agree with your last statement. Fingers crossed, for both Bose and its clients!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Re: Brand new Sleepbuds charging case and buds state of charge: observation of behavior (not a so...

Hi Joel,

with the great customer service Bose has provided me in this first - and hopefully last - instance, sending me a brand new pair in a very short delay, I must say that I agree that Bose do indeed stand behind their products. The buds were on warranty of course but, that's besides the point. The representative on the phone was very understanding and efficient. Kudos.

With my original buds, when I woke up I would immediately put them back in the charging case. I never looked in the app to see where the charge state was at (what percentage of charge remained). Maybe this could be the source of the problem? Should we wait until the buds charge falls below a certain point before putting them back in the charging case?

I thought of that when I woke this morning for some reason. So I looked at the charge state of the new buds in the app: left was at 40%, down from 100% last night and the right was at 30%, down from 90% (yes the right bud never reached 100% charged, even with the workaround applied many times last night). They had been on all night - about 8 and a 1/2 hours - with volume level set at approximately 35%. App showed remaining runtime was approximately 4 hours. This time I didn't put them back in the charging case: I paused the music and put the buds on the case while the app remained active on the phone. Then I roamed around the house with the phone.

My intention was to further drain the buds this coming night and charge them tomorrow. I was to set the sleep timer for two hours tonight (same volume level) and see what the charge level would be tomorrow morning (not anticipating what happened next). But, to be able to do that, in order for the app to be able to connect to the buds, you have to put them back in the charging case momentarily then pull them back out. I did that this afternoon just to see if there was any change and found that the buds had further drained: left is now down to 19% and right is down to 6%! Is it because the app stayed, or tried to stay connected to the buds? Dunno.

In any case, I'll perform the workaround a few times today and go at it again tonight.

Regards.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

I've done several itiratations of various tests I've used with other products that had similar issues.  I've completely drained both buds, charged them for about a minute, then drained again to ensure 0% charge remaining.  Then I charge to around 50% and "burp" them (take them out and let them drain for about 10 mins), then charge to 100% (lights stop flashing).  Then I "burp" them again, and charge again till the lights stop fashing.  Along the way, I reset the charge base and even deleted/installed the app.

When done, I then look at the app, and the left bud is still 48%...

I totally agree with you about Bose support.  They are nothing short of outstanding in the quickness and effortless way of replacing this product.  I've little doubt they will get it to work for everyone.

And it seems they are really on to something.  It's a whole new product category, and virtually everyone LOVES them... when they work.  But still, most are hanging with them far beyond what most would call reasonable.  I probably would have given up on them months ago if they were any other product, new or not.  The loyalty to the product is off the chart!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Great testing! Nice to read someone who obviously appreciates thoroughness as much, maybe even more than, I do.

And again, I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion.

Kudos to you and regards.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Ok so, before I went to bed last night I had reset the charging case only once with the buds in it. The case itself had been unplugged for awhile already, but fully charged. When I did go to bed, there were 4 out of 5 of the case LEDs that were lit (charge 80%) and the bud LEDs indicated full charge. The app concurred with the bud LEDs, showing that both buds were at 100%. Dunno why the right bud only charged to 90% on the previous day, no matter how many case resets were performed, whilst yesterday I achieved 100%?...

This morning, after almost exactly 8 hours of sleep, I looked at the app and both buds were equal at 48%. This time I closed the app, then put the buds on the case (not in the case) to see what the battery drain on the buds would be tonight when not connected to the app. I'm curious to see if it'll resemble yesterday's drain or not.