Highlighted
Community Manager

Cracking noises in my Hearphones

Loud Surroundings

There is a loud cracking noise in my Hearphones (more so in my left ear than my right) when there are loud noises around me. This happens most often when I'm playing music with a band.

I hear the cracking most consistently when the drummer whacks the cymbals or hits the snare drum really hard.

This only happens when I have World volume turned on. When I turn World volume all the way off the cracking stops.

Changing Directivity

I hear a cracking noise when I change the Directivity. This is in my left ear only. I may hear it once in three times when I change the Directivity. This is unrelated to noise in my environment. This has been there since I first got them.

ST

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

Re: Cracking noises in my Hearphones

Hi ST,

Changing directivity should not cause the noise described so long as the system is suitably used (e.g. environmental noise < 115dBSPL).  Please call Customer Service at 800-761-2673 as there may be an issue with your unit.

Please let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager ST

The cracking noises seem to have been fixed by the latest firmware update.

Firmware 1.3.3 available

ST

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

Hi ST,

Changing directivity should not cause the noise described so long as the system is suitably used (e.g. environmental noise < 115dBSPL).  Please call Customer Service at 800-761-2673 as there may be an issue with your unit.

Please let me know how it goes.

Community Manager

Hi Eunice,

I've spoken with Customer Service and they are taking care of me.

ST

UberDuper
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2017

I also get a loud crack or snap from time to time but it seems random and not really related to external sounds. I'll try to pay more attention to what's going on around me when it happens.
It's like a sound you'd get out of a speaker when powering up or down an amp.

Community Manager

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager ST

The cracking noises seem to have been fixed by the latest firmware update.

Firmware 1.3.3 available

ST

TheaterThunder
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 13, 2017

Any further update on this? I took my new Hearphones to a concert over the weekend and they constantly made loud cracking sounds like little exposions during the show. It was very fatiguing. The app tells me that I have the latest firmware. They sounded like the microphones were possibly overloading? Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the microphones?

Community Manager

Hi TheaterThunder,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hearphones Community. 

I'm sorry about the cracking noises. Yes, when the sound in the environment gets really loud you will hear the the system overloading. If you turn the World Volume all the way down (-50) the cracking noise should go away.

I do that when I'm in noisy venues and I'm too close to the drums.

Please try that next time you're at a loud event.

Does that help?

ST