deliddell
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Does each sound mask a specific noise?

I'm curious if each sound was designed to mask a specific noise. If one sounds is better at masking snoring and another at masking trains and airplane noise. Or is it a general masking and you just choose which one you prefer?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Does each sound mask a specific noise?

Hi there, Deliddell,

Thank you for reaching out to the community! There are 10 sounds pre-loaded on the Bose noise-masking sleepbuds. All sounds are engineered, some for masking properties, and some for relaxation. You can choose the sound that works best for you.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

KevinLongtime
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2018

Wish the developers of the sounds could give more insight on which noises are engineered for masking/relaxation. Also which sounds are engineered to mask which freqency IE: low snoring or higher pitch talking etc

@KevinLongtime Hi, thank you for reaching out. We'll pass that feedback along to the developers, and let you know if we have an update.

Here is a description of the 10 pre-loaded sounds so far, and we are developing and working on new sounds. Our goal is to make additional sounds available as a library within the Bose Sleep app. 

Rustle - Wind kicking up leaves

Cascade - A cascading waterfall

Shower - Gentle rain falling on leaves

Circulate - A fan with an electrical undertone, like an air conditioner

Altitude - Airplane cabin ambient noise

Swell - Rolling and crashing waves

Campfire - Crackling fire and softly chirping crickets

Warm Static - Broadband noise with high-frequency content removed

Downstream - A gentle stream

Tranquility - A drone-like melody that some might also refer to a spa-like sound

Thank you again,

Mohsin

jonat
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

I started with Warm Static, as it's closest to what I was using before. But I then tried Circulate and like that better. The undertone seems to have three slight frequency shifts that it cycles through. It's subtle, but I find my brain pays a bit more attention to it than my tinnitus.

Try them all to see what works best for your situation. I recommend against turning the volume up loud - you just want it in the background so you don't focus on the external sounds. The isolation of the Sleepbuds is only moderate, just enough to dull external noise.

Highlighted
KevinLongtime
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2018

I’ve tried a bunch of the sounds but find some sounds seem “useless” compared to others but if I had known before hand that they weren’t engineered for masking it would clear any confusion of the product to begin with. And rather than have to do 10 days of research by trying each sound every night of sleep and gamble it working I think it’d be nice to know up front what sounds are meant for what because not all problem noises happen when I’m setting up the device they usually occur while I’m asleep. Because of this I’ve just played it safe and stuck to the first rain sound as it seems to be my go-to for now which works well. Just again wish each sound had more information up front
digitalmediaphile
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

I'd love to know which sounds are designated "pink" noise versus "brown" noise, etc. Would it be possible to get this information for each of the current AND future sounds?

jonat
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2018

"Warm Static" is close in impression to"Brown Noise" in that it is white noise without the high frequencies. It's the only sound in that class. There isn't a "Pink Noise" (each octave has equal energy).

c3ll4r_d00r
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Agreed. With Circulate, I noticed last night a strange oscillating high-pitched tone in the background, seemingly only in my left ear. After a while I kept focusing on it and ended up changing to another sound. Have you noticed this?

jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

With regard to "high-pitched tone in the background", yes I've been dealing with that too, and yes it comes and goes in some way I don't understand.   For me it happens mainly on Cascade, but also on Warm Static.  I find it hard to ignore anything with a definite pitch so this is a problem for me.  

In trying to narrow this down, it seems to happen if I play Cascade for an hour or two - it isn't' there at first but eventually becomes strong and I have to switch sounds to escape it.  My current theory is that it has something to do with Cascades' spectrum of sound finding some resonance in the transducer (sound emitting element) which increases over time, or maybe as the unit gets warmer.  Just a guess at this point.   

The guy at the Bose store hadn't heard of this particular issue but offered to exchange my Sleepbuds for another set, which I may do today.