ChesterCounty
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

Expectation to great??

So I am just in to my first full week with the Hearphones but already wondering if my expectations where to high.

So a couple of challenges I am running up against and would welcome community feedback.

1. The neck piece rotates. For me its significant to the point of pulling on the earbuds in short order. The turning happens pretty quick while wearing.

2. My original interest was mainly around conversations in loud and/or crowded environments which I have long struggled with. Meetings w multiple overlapping conversations, social outings in public spaces (restaurants), etc. What I am finding is even when using Focused and trying to "dial it in" I am unable to overcome any ambient noise that might be present to pick up on the focused conversation. In fact what I'm experiencing is typically the ambient noise overpowers the targeted sound. Perhaps working as intended as it elevates the sounds but unfortunately all of them thus limiting the objective. Here is where I think I may be expecting way more than is possible as I get it amplifys the sounds but does not isolate and enhance sound. I thought focused was narrowing and noise canceling beyond but I suspect this is not the case. For me the experience so far has not matched the expectation and I think I am being unfair to the capability. 

I am considering a return but wanted to get some feedback on best practice for Focused Conversations that work for others. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
bhyde
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Re: Expectation to great??

#1  This has to be my biggest complaint.  Even with minimal head movement (i.e. in a car) I'm finding the unit twists and frequently have to adjust it.  Has become a habit at this point.

#2  In my case adjusting the treble/base while using the focused options has been very effective for me.   I almost always switch to a Side to Side focus in restaurants/bars.   If the person I am with is sitting across from me, then I use the narrowed front.  The unit I have does a great job at cancelling out most sounds coming from behind.  I've frequently been surprised at how loud some music is when I switch to "surround" or turn off the hearphones when we are leaving.

One thing that I do when out with my wife is I ask her for a "test" conversation when we first sit down so I can adjust volume and bass/treble.

You may want to to double check with Bose support to be sure your unit is not defective.

ToddR
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 20, 2017

#1.  I agree that the rotating neckpiece is extremely frustrating.  It pulls on my hearphones also and occassionally causes the earpieces to be pulled out.

#2. I also adjusted the treble/bass to minimize the ambient noise for me.  Its not perfect by ANY means but it makes noisy environments far more bearable and possible for me!

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi bhyde,

"One thing that I do when out with my wife is I ask her for a "test" conversation when we first sit down so I can adjust volume and bass/treble."

That's great a great idea. That way you don't miss any real conversation. 

Thank you,

ST

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @ChesterCounty,

Now that you've had three weeks with your Hearphones, how are you doing?

I don't disagree about the neck piece. Perhaps in some future version of the product we'll find a way to improve on this.

As for separating the conversation from the ambient noise - and figuring out your best settings: How are you doing?

ST