DeWeert
Participant
Registered since

May 1, 2018

Hearphone wind noise

My hearphones are useless outdoors. Even a fast walk causes too much wind noise, and with the tradewinds we have in Hawai'i, outdoor converstaion is impossible. For barbecues with friends, or dining alfresco - these hearphones are worse than useless! These phones desperately need windscreens! Please provide windscreeens  - I don't care if they look dorky!

3 REPLIES 3
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Re: Hearphone wind noise

Hi DeWeert,

Thank you for joining us here.  I'm sorry about the wind noise. I understand that it can be annoying. This is a challenge because unlike other headphones, Hearphones have microphones listening to the world. Wind is moving across a microphone is similar to touching the surface of the microphone.  It sounds like you're familiar with the concept of windscreens, like the foam ball you see performers use with vocal microphones outdoors.

"I don't care if they look dorky!"

A few months ago someone else wrote about this and I replied.

I just did some experiments with an electric fan. The first thing I do when I hear something I don't like, is turn down the World Volume. Doing this helps with the fan too, but if you're trying to have a conversation at the same time, then you've got competing priorities.

Try using the Bose Hear app to turn up the Treble. Turning up the Treble also reduces the Bass. The rumble you hear is in the Bass.

619A41kgVNL._SL1050_In practical terms, there is only so much you can do with adjustments to the Hearphones. The other approach is to protect the microphones from wind blowing directly on them. If it's chilly out, you might wear a scarf or a headband. I found the item below by doing a search for neoprene earband.

51k4ObbIlmL

Other than the wind noise, are you enjoying your Hearphones?

ST

DeWeert
Participant
Registered since

May 1, 2018

It's too hot here to use a neoprene headband all day. My solution so far is 20-mm-diameter fuzzy windscreens. They help, but are really hard to get onto the hearphones. Available at amazon.com:

eBoot 5 Pack Furry Outdoor Microphone Windscreen Muff for Most Lavalier Microphones

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi DeWeert,

Thanks for sharing your idea for this blustery problem.

ST