ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hearphones at a rock concert

I was at full volume rock concert in this beautiful venue recently. I knew it was going to be LOUD so I took my Hearphones and earplugs just in case the Hearphones were not up to the task. I didn't need the earplugs.

I was part of a special pre-show tour and I was able to hear the band in this intimate mini-concert. I also got walk all over the theatre while the band was playing. 

The Hearphones were able to knock down the volume sound that LOUD became tolerable, even comfortable. I turned up the world volume just enough so that I could hear the details in the vocals, guitars, and the keyboard.

I tried different directivity settings. Depending on where I was in the room I preferred different settings. Overall, they sounded good, but this theatre has excellent acoustics and the sound system was world-class.  

Here's how it looked later during the full-on show.

The Hearphones allowed me to bring in more detail (world volume) than I can get with ordinary earplugs. With the directivity settings, I could choose whether or not I wanted to hear the crowd behind and beside me. 

When it was REALLY loud (like a big bang on a drum) there were be a little crack sound in the Hearphones. I've experienced this in other settings when there's a quick loud sound. It only lasts for a moment. I've only noticed this when the outside noise is extremely loud and I have the world volume turned on.

I think I was right at the limit of the Hearphones capabilities. I know I was at the limit of my physical tolerance for loud music. I'm not likely to subject my Hearphones or myself to situations louder than this.

I will definitely take my Hearphones to other concerts. 

ST

22 REPLIES 22
Eunice_Y
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

Re: Hearphones at a rock concert

Wow ST - what a thorough review!  It sounds like they worked well in a quieter cavernous space before the show and in a large loud space during the show.  I am curious as to the settings you found useful in different parts of the room in relation to speaker placement and crowd noise?  Sudden sharp or loud noises can cause Hearphones to short-out for a few seconds - we are working on it!

Best,

e

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi Eunice,

Thanks.

"I am curious as to the settings you found useful in different parts of the room in relation to speaker placement and crowd noise"

I can get fairly analytical about things like speaker placement and crowd noise BUT I wouldn't want anyone to think that the Hearphones require that much attention. Using them is easy and became intuitive after wearing them in a few different settings.

Anytime I want to hear things differently I change the Directivity buttons until things improve and adjust the World volume to fine-tune if necessary.

Back to your question. "I am curious as to the settings you found useful in different parts of the room in relation to speaker placement and crowd noise".

Most of the time my priorities are

• Understanding what people are saying
  • Hearing the lyrics in music

I used the FOCUSED mode most. I could hear what was in front of me with the least amount of audible distraction from sound bouncing around and arriving later. 

When I was close to the stage I used the FRONT mode.  The stage was wide and most of the sound was coming from speakers on the edge of the stage facing the audience and two large speaker arrays suspended from the ceiling.  To get the full sound of the band the FRONT mode let me take it all in. The FOCUSED was fine if I wanted to pay close attention to the guitarist who had his amps on the stage.

In this big space, I used EVERYWHERE mode when the room was quiet and I wanted to be fully aware of my surroundings. 

"Sudden sharp or loud noises can cause Hearphones to short-out for a few seconds - we are working on it!"

I've had some more experience with this and I'll start a new discussion for that.

Edit - update - please see: Cracking noises in my Hearphones

ST

raylarose
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 20, 2017

Man, I wish I knew this on Saturday - took my family to the IMAX where they had the volume set to 11. Actually hurt my ears at that level, and if I thought to bring in the hearphones I could have really knocked down that obnoxious volume. Thanks for this tip.

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi raylarose,

I know this is going to sound like a credit card slogan. 

These days, I take my Hearphones with me when I step out the door.

Hearphones: Don't leave home without them.

ST

jimaa1
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

So if you fix the shorting out problem will the hearphones still protect against sudden loud noises?

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi jimaa1,

I don't think that the shorting out (cracking) was offering any protection. I haven't been in a really loud environment since the firmware update, but I'll try to check this out soon. I'll come back and tell you what I hear.

ST

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi jimaa1,

I just fired up my big PA system (I'm a musician). I ran it much louder than I would than I would ever do with people around. According to the sound pressure level meter app on my phone, my dedicated meter and my body,  I was running louder than the concert in the pictures above.  It was toxic.

I could NOT get my Hearphones to make that cracking noise.

However, the sound was SO LOUD that when I dialed-in some WORLD volume the sound distorted a bit. To be fair, this was not a realistic test. I would never subject anyone to these volume levels and I would not stay any place that did.

You said, "So if you fix the shorting out problem will the hearphones still protect against sudden loud noises?"

I'm not qualified to talk about the Hearphones and hearing protection.  I can tell you that now my Hearphones don't make the cracking noise, it's more pleasant to use them. I doubt that this has any bearing on hearing protection. 

ST

promotherobot
Collaborator
Registered since

May 4, 2017

I'm going to see a loud club show next week and wanted to use the Hearphones instead of ear plugs. My concern was that the Hearphones could break down in a loud environment. Is that something I shouldn't worry about?

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi promotherobot,

I've worn my Hearphones in brutally loud situations. Since the recent firmware update*, I've had no sense of break down. They used to make a cracking noise if there was a sudden loud noise like a snare drum rim-shot at close proximity. But that hasn't happened since the update. (* See Firmware 1.3.3 available ).

Take some ear protection as you normally would for a loud club show, for backup and comparison. And take your Hearphones too.

Please come back and tell us about your experiences.

Thanks,

ST