Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Hearphones don't work as headset with Mac Laptop?

When I connect my hearphones to my laptop, they work great as earbuds. If I open sound preferences and select the hearphones microphone, I can hear the codec change for the audio, and see the Bluetooth profile change to hands-free in Apple Bluetooth Explorer. However, the microphone doesn't actually work, and if you look at the volume bar in the sound preferences, it doesn't detect any sound at all coming from the hearphones.

I called tech support and was sent a replacement set of hearphones to make sure it's not a hardware problem, but the exact same problem happens with the new set. The same laptop works fine with other headsets, and the headsets both work fine with my phone.

This appears to be a software problem on the hearphones. Any plans to fix this in a future firmware update? I didn't get any helpful information either of the two times I've spoken to tech support.

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hearphones don't work headset with Mac Laptop?

Hi agf,

Thanks for joining the community. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your Hearphones and Mac Laptop. It's good to know that your Hearphones are working with your phone.

Please tell us:

• The  model of your Mac Laptop
  • The version of OSX you are running
  • The applications you have running when you open sound preferences and select the Hearphones microphone
  • The applications are you using (will you be using) with the microphone?
  • Any devices you have attached to the Mac Laptop

Thank you,

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6 (15G1510)

I've tried many different applications open when I open sound preferences. It doesn't matter what application I use with the microphone, the system doesn't get any signal from it, which you can see directly in sound preferences. I have confirmed that with Skype and Google Hangouts.

I don't have any other devices attached to the mac laptop.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi agf,

Thanks for the added information. We'll try to reproduce the issue here. 

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

I've still not received any information about the cause or scope of this problem.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi agf,

I'm sorry that we haven't gotten back to you. I'm following up on our end. Given that it's the weekend, I probably won't hear anything until Monday.

ST

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi agf,

Our team have not been able to reproduce your issue here. We don't doubt that you're having a problem, but we can't make it happen and so we can't suggest a solution.

I searched on the web and one idea that might address this is to reset the PRAM

Please take that as information - NOT a recommendation. I don't have a MacBook Pro so I don't want to suggest anything that I can't try here first. 

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

I tried the headset with a co-worker's similar Mac Laptop today, 2015 w/ El Capitan, and had the same problem. It's not a problem specific to my computer.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi agf,

I'll take this latest information back to our support team.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

I tried it again today with:

MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

With the same results.