NolaDahling
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

Hearphones for Avoiding Seizures

Quick question: does anyone have experience using Hearphones to filter certaing outside noises, while still being able to hear normal conversations?

I'm asking because my best friend experiences "musicogenic seizures" (i.e., they're triggered by music and certain audio frequencies). This makes going to a mall, running errands and or just grocery shopping a challenge, because everybody seems to being playing music at work.

She has tried just wearing headphones in public, but that prevents her from hearing normal street sounds which is not a good thing when her conditions means that she's relegated to walking and using public transit (i.e., she can't operate a motor vehicle or even ride a bike). So now she keeps headphones on hand and tries to put them in her ears when she enters an environment with music, but she's not always able to respond quick enough to things like sudden station changes or a particular song.

I've been researching traditiona noise-cancelling headphones but none seem to be good for the purposes I've outlined, and I'm hoping Hearphones might work. Given that the price is way out of her budget, I want to buy her a pair for her birthday. Because I'm going to have to cut back on some stuff in my life to afford them (like I said, she's my BFF and was there for me when my house flooded after Katrina) I want to make sure that they'll do what I'm hoping.
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Hearphones for Avoiding Seizures

Hi NolaDahling,

This is a wonderful thought - to give Hearphones as a gift for your friend.

Bose Hearphones use Acoustic Noise Cancelling that is similar to our other noise-canceling headphones. If your friend doesn't need the conversation-enhancing features in Hearphones, she might be just as well served by Bose QuietControl 30 headphones. These will give her the ability to adjust how much noise cancellation is applied, and how much of the outside world she will hear.

I'd strongly recommend you take your friend to a Bose store where you can try out different noise canceling headphones. That's not quite as surprising as giving her the gift of Bose Hearphones, I understand. But it's no less thoughtful.

ST

NolaDahling
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 4, 2018

She lives in Maryland, but I live on Louisiana, so I may send her a gift cert. and she can just go to a Bose store out there and try them.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi NolaDahling,

That sounds like a wonderful, considerate gift.

ST