lkingston
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 14, 2017

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

I find the active noise reduction in my Hearphones to be far superior to my custom mold musicians earplugs.  The low and low mid frequencies go right through the best passive noise seals.  

Telemonster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2018

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

Found this thread after loving my Hearphones for a few weeks, but wanting to consider a second purchase to go fully wireless.  Skip my comments if you just want good earbuds.  I am coming at this from a hearing perspective.   For exercise I use trex or just put my iphone in an armband and listen ambienty.  Honestly I cannot concentrate on a workout with high fidelity music.  I love music and it demands my attention.  

Even though I don’t like the Hearphones’ neckband for many reasons, the Hearphones fill a want I have had for several years.  After reading this thread, it appears IQbuds won’t meet my needs, but I am definitely interested in whatever Bose might do next as a follow on to the Hearphones.  IQbuds recently announced the “boost” and I will be checking them out for sure when they come out.  For now, here is my rave about the Bose Hearphones.....

i have a ?moderate (not quite profound, i forget what that is called) loss on the right side since I was 17, and I am a musician and engineer in my 40s.   I am a nightmare for  audiologists/ hearing aid techs..   No hearing aid seems to exist that can bring me what Hearphones do.   Hearing aids do some cool things with noise canceling and directionality, but for live music, forget it.   Even the “modern” made for iPhone high priced aids while good, are not musical. 

While a loud rock band is too loud for Hearphones,  acoustic performance apears workable so far.  I haven’t played an acoustic gig yet, but these things are incredible in tests so far!

I am am shocked how well the noise canceling works, shocked by how comfortable the ear pieces are, and shocked that Hearphones have the power to allow me to hear on the right side, with accurate fidelity and dynamics.

2nd lastly, I returned my Oticon Clr2 HA.  Good devices, but not so impressive  for music, and absolutely a failure when playing guitar.   I have been fully functional for over 20 years without hearing aids.   Am NOT suggesting anyone disregard their audiologist recommendation (but I did).  This is a potentially touchy issue, be careful.  But for the price of hearing aids I can buy a few more Bose products.  Hint, hint.

Lastly, something you learn with hearing aids, be sure that with whatever you buy, you take the time to adapt to them, including  Hearphones.  Your brain will adapt, just give it some time.  Don’t make a decision in minutes, take your time. I hope this helps someone.  I have found very few resources that apply to my scenario.

thersites
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Have you tried hearing aids from Widex? I found them much better for music than the Oticons: in fact, they're known as "musician's hearing aids."

Highlighted
richardberryhill
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for the details! I've been told for years that I need to get hearing aids (ha) but avoided them for several reasons: (1) high cost without ability to "test drive" to see what difference they would make; (2) the large ones are too "clunky looking" for my personal vanity, besides which those I know who wear them do not seem to hear all that much better; (3) my ear canals are very, very small due to having spend so many years in cold water bodysurfing, that almost nothing fits; (4) due to tiny size and perhaps shape of my ears, I've dropped and lost so many bluetooth devices I can't count them; (5) everyone I know has misplaced them and eventually lost them because they are so small. So I gave the HearPhones a try and love them, but wondered how different they would be from "real" ha. 

Apparently, not much, certainly not enough to make it worth seriously considering getting ha! 

thersites
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Every audiologist I've seen has offered to let me try hearing aids for at least 2 weeks at no charge.

Chazho
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

I care a lot about noise cancellation. For me, it is one of the most important features. I have trouble carrying on a conversation in a noisy place. The Hearphones really help me with that.
Chazho
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 1, 2016

Good information. I also have the Hp, and I usually get a good seal, so great noise reduction. My left one falls out all of the time, so that is frustrating. The right one never does. I assume that's because my two ears area shaped slightly different; nothing I can see, to verify that.
Community Manager

Hi Chazho,

"My left one falls out all of the time"

Try a different size ear-tip for your left ear.

Does that help?

ST