Cusstomizer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2017

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

City Suit? Streetwear?
I mean not the sport version.

Jterrylee44
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 7, 2017

Re: How do the Hearphones compare to other hearing-enhancing devices like HereOnes and NuHeara IQbud

This response expands the question to how Hearphones (Hp) compare to a single high tech $3200 hearing aid.  Baseline - I have used hearing aids for over 10 years and try to use the latest technology. I only have one ear that hears but I wear both Hp ear buds to get good focus control.

HP has far better voice reproduction than my Ha.  That increases comprehension and makes quiet conversations much more relaxing for me for that reason.  My 'What?' index drops using the Hp.

Hearing aid (Ha) has 100% noise reduction due to using an earmold.  Hp ear plugs allow too much ambient noise around the ear plug and it minimizes noise reduction effectiveness.  However, Ha amplifies noise which makes Hp better sound quality in spite of Hp letting in noise.  An earmold Hp option would be fantastic.

Hp has far superior sound and microphones. I actually heard an owl hoot using Hp .  That sound is too subtle for my Ha to pick up.

I control my Ha with a phone app. I run my Ha at 45% max volume.  I use 100% volume for the Hp and it is not enough volume for me.  I'd like the option to increase Hp volume beyond present 100%.

In a quiet setting I hear much better with the Hp.  Voices are fuller and my comprehension increases noticably .  In a noisey situation Hp are slighly better for one-on-one conversations due to focus option.  My Ha also has focus option but not as good since I only have one.

The Hp echo reduction/management is disappointing. Echos are the major comprehesion problem. There is no evidence echos are processed by the Hp.

Ha is a little better handling echos. There are very few situations with echos that allow me to change my position due to assigned seats, etc.  Hp Focus options do not help.

Ha has some noise reduction and is better for reducing fan, machinery, and car noise.  Earmolds may be the reason.

The neck piece for Hp is awkward.  Seems larger than needed, tends to rotate. If an external support is needed for ear buds I'd prefer a pendant necklace.  I assume processing power and battery requirements necessitate the neck piece.

Ha battery life is a week.  Hp is about 9-10 hours.  16 hours would be nice for full day use.  Or allow charging while running.

I've been using the Hp for 3 months about 3-4 days a week. I use it mostly streaming music.  Much better sound than Ha. Other regular use is restaurants, dinner parties and business meetings.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of Hearphones. 

thersites
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

Thanks for the comparison!

How do you find the sound of your own voice in the Hearphones? 

I'm a little surprised that you find your hearing aid "better for reducing fan, machinery, and car noise" since active noise cancellation works, in general, much better than the passive noise isolation afforded by ear molds (in addition to the filtering provided by the hearing aid).

Jterrylee44
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 7, 2017

My voice sounds much beter with Hearphones. 

I'm guessing that because I have an un-vented earmold and the only thing I hear is processed, the hearing aid out performs Hearphone because there is no sound that bypasses the earmold and processing.  Hearphones can't noise reduce sound that bypasses the ear bud due to sound leakage around or through it.  That's why I thought an unvented earmold option for Hearphones would deliver almost perfect clarity.  Being redundant, you can't noise reduce noise that bypasses the system due to leakage.  I hope that helps. 

Jterrylee44,

Thank you very much for the detailed review and comparison!  It's great to hear that Hearphones are doing their job to help with conversation comprehension/enhancement.  

Regarding the neckband, battery life, and echo processing - the feedback is absolutely appreciated.  All input is welcome, and this will be relayed to the engineering and software teams.

Peter0027
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 2, 2017

Thanks for your detailed comparison of different products!!!
lkingston
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 14, 2017

I purchased a set of Nuheara IQbuds yesterday at BestBuy and returned them today.  I chose them instead of Hearphones because of their smaller size and similar (at least on paper) features.  I found them lacking in bass for listening to music and I could barely discern the live hearing features.  I also could hear companding artifacts in the sound of recorded music.  The problem may we’ll be my deep ear canals.  I tried all the different size and shape options but still couldn’t get enough of a seal to hear much low end.  I was really surprised at how much I disliked the IQbuds.  They looked nice and were very small, but I just hated the audio quality.

After returning these I ordered a set of Hearphones this morning.  I don’t live near one of the demo sites so I just took a chance.  I have high expectations although I am worried that my ear canal shapes might be a problem with the Bose as well.

I have severe hearing loss and hyperacusis in my left ear and milder hearing loss in my right.  That and pretty loud tinnitus which is a constant aggravation.  I have a set of Bose noise canceling over the ear headphones that I adore.  Hopefully I will like the hearphones as well.

Community Manager

Hi, lkingston,

Thank you for joining us here and for taking the time to share your impressions of the Nuheara IQbuds.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you get your Hearphones.

ST

Highlighted
bhyde
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Based on my experience, I suggest giving the Hearphones at least a 2 week trial period. They have provided wonderful relief for intense periods of tinnitus and a great solution for dampering the hyperacusis.

davidc1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

"...I'm a little surprised that you find your hearing aid "better for reducing fan, machinery, and car noise" since active noise cancellation works, in general, much better than the passive noise isolation afforded by ear molds (in addition to the filtering provided by the hearing aid)...."

I'm surprised you say this. If you are talking about bass frequencies, you may be partially true, but if you are talking about the general full frequency spectrum, and especially 1kHz and above, passive isolation, especially by an ear mold, is far superior.