Highlighted
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

Huawei Mate Pro 10 and updating firmware

My Huawei Mate Pro 10 seems to function with my new sleepbuds, however I'm unable to do a firmware update for them as the app shows it is searching for a few minutes and then gives up with a "No dice" message (they are charged, out of the charger and sat next to the phone when doing this). However if I download the app on my iPad then I have zero issues 

I suspect the issue is linked to the use of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), which is something the phone supports  - "BT4.2, support BLE".

Looking at the Sleepbuds FAQ, it lists the connectivity requirement as:

"How do I know if my device is compatible?

Your device (smartphone, tablet etc.) must support Bluetooth® Low Energy (also called Bluetooth Smart) to work correctly with the Bose noise-masking sleepbuds. Apple devices with iOS 10 or later are compatible and most devices with Android 5.0 and newer versions support Bluetooth® Low Energy."

I was also having it lose the connection to either Sleepbud at random, even with them under a meter away. Could this be the same root cause? 

How can I troubleshoot these issues?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Re: Huawei Mate Pro 10 and updating firmware

Hello Kiwi,

Thank you for reaching us to us and welcome to the community. 

We are sorry to hear about your Sleepbuds not able to do a firmware update. To solve this issue I would like you to try a couple of things:

Reset the Sleepbuds by inserting a  thin clip paper or pin into the hole on the back case near the USB connector. Press until you feel a click.

Uninstall and reinstall the bose updater tool. In case there is an error with the updater tool, uninstall the Bose Updater application from your computer. Then, go to btu.bose.com to reinstall the Updater tool and try the update again.

If possible make sure you temporary disable any antivirus or firewall running on the computer. Try the update again.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Prince

Highlighted
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

Hi Prince

The firmware update problem is with the sleepbuds themselves, not the case, which is why I covered using my phone and the Bluetooth Low Energy connection as a potential root cause for the issue.

The case firmware worked without issues.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Hi QC, 

During the firmware update, do you keep the phone awake and the Bose Sleep app in the foreground. If the app is placed in the background, it gets interrupted and the update will be incomplete and have to be started again. If this is the case can you let us know so we prived further assistant?

Thanks

Prince_O- Community Support 

Highlighted
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

I tried both keeping the phone awake and by letting it sleep, both with the same result.

Since it also randomly disconnected from either sleepbud even before doing the update, this is what is making me think it is linked to BLE / and / or the connection.

I spent quite a while doing multiple different combinations of things like where I placed the sleepbuds, order of taking them out from the case, etc. but this didn't help with either the random disconnects or the update.

Since my iPad worked instantly, this suggests it is phone connection specific rather than the sleepbuds themselves.

Highlighted

Hi QC, 

Thank you for providing the additional information. 

To confirm, have you successfully been able to update your SleepBuds using a different source device? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

Correct, my iPad was able to do the firmware update using the Bose Sleep app. I've salso been using it to control my sleepbuds operation.

Whilst this is a workaround, I'd like to not be reliant on taking my iPad everywhere when travelling, but instead to be able to use my phone.

Highlighted

Hi QC-Kiwi, 

Thanks for updating us on this and we are glad to hear that you have updated the headphones. 

Have you attempted to connect another mobile device to the Sleepbuds? So we can ensure that the issue isn't occurring across other mobile devices?

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

I've tried connecting to the sleepbuds with a Nexus 6P (also made by Huawei) and I've a similar experience to with the Mate 10 Pro.

It manages to connect as it has picked up the name I gave them, but it won't do anything else.

The 6P supports BLE (https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_nexus_6p-7588.php).

Have the Bose Sleepbuds been tested with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro successfully? Which Android phones have they been tested with?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Thanks for getting back to us!

Whilst there is no definitive list of devices that this has been tested with, the fact that you're having issues with 2 separate Huawei devices is interesting.

As such, I'm going to get this looked into for you directly with BLE devices from Huawei to see if this is localised directly with their products.

If this is the case, then the development team will look into this, and provide an update when possible.

In the meantime, I can only suggest that you continue to use the Ipad to get this to function correctly.

If you have any further questions, please get back to us!

Liam_W