Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

Motorcycle music and wind noise supression

I listened to some music while riding my relatively quiet motorcycle.  The sound was excellent.  I have tried this with other products and he wind noise inside my helmet washed out most of the sound.  I usually wear earplugs on long trips, a proven method of reducing fatigue from road noise at highway speeds..

I had turned the world volume way down and  was surprised came when I switched the Hearphones off after the playlist finished.  The road noise increased dramatically.  The noise suppression had cancelled the road noise when the world volume was turned way down into negative territory!

Goodby earplugs, hello bluetooth music on the road.  Maybe I'll try using the cell phone, maybe not.  🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: Motorcycle music and wind noise supression

Typically, I use a set of wired $750 musician's in-ear monitors for music while I ride.  But I tried out my new Hearphones yesterday, on the way home from work on my Yamaha Majesty 400.  No helmet law in Illinois, so I just had a ballcap, and the music sounded great up to about 45mph, then wind noise became noticable.  I didn't know about the Noise Cancellation on these at the time, and just had the World Volume MUTED, no I'm not sure if there was any cancellation, as might have worked had I reduced World volume into the negative numbers.

Then I stopped and put on my Bell Pit Boss half helmet, at 55mph the wind noise wasn't as bad as before, but wasn't so good that I would have given up my in-ear monitors.  Then I stopped and zipped on the winter "skirting" that zips onto the helmet, covering the ears (to keep them warm), and the wind noise was far less than before.  Plenty good enough that I can use the Hearphones for music anytime, as long as I wear the helmet.

Now that I am started to get what "noise cancellation" means, I will  try reducing the World volume to negative numbers and see how the NC reacts.  I'm still a little vague on that.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

We want you to be safe out there. Please see: While Driving

Sincerely,

ST

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Thanks for the cautionary post ST, very interesting read, especially for cyclists. 

Had it been in bigger print and on the inside of the manual, I would have seen it before.